Vauxhall Combo 53 plate oil and water leak

With typical head gasket failure, air is expelled from the cyliders into the waterways of the engine - hence extreme pressurising and expulsion of the cooling water.
I cant really explain the heater issue but could assume its being immediately air locked due to the gas in the system.
John :)

Sponsored Links
With typical head gasket failure, air is expelled from the cyliders into the waterways of the engine - hence extreme pressurising and expulsion of the cooling water.
I cant really explain the heater issue but could assume its being immediately air locked due to the gas in the system.

Ok fair enough, I’ve only spent £40 on it. I’ve asked the mechanic if he’s got a tester for head gasket. If not I will buy one of them kits from eBay that goes in the tank and turns colour if air is contaminated with combustion.

I did replace a section on the water system with a copper tea as opposed to rubber. That’s the last place there’s could be a blockage, but to help me out I need to know what side is flow and return of my heater matrix but can even see it in my Haynes manual

Good luck with your findings!
I forget the name of the solution thats used, but its blue and turns yellow when exhaust gas is bubbled through it.
The solution for diesels is different from that used in petrols, I gather.

Good luck with your findings!
I forget the name of the solution thats used, but its blue and turns yellow when exhaust gas is bubbled through it.
The solution for diesels is different from that used in petrols, I gather.
Same solution but it turns a different colour.

I will let you know!
I’m still holding out for head gasket good!

Sponsored Links
John, sorry to be a pain.
Was just thinking, I have a gas clue analyser that measures the presence of co2, o2 and carbon monoxide
If I stick that in the expansion tank, would a co2 reading confirm combustion products presence and a clear reading prove it’s ok ‍♂️♂️

As far as I know, these fluid products detect the prescence of CO2 and nitrogen dioxide......there is a fair chance that your flue gas analyser could play a part here, you know!
The trouble is, you’d need to test a few vehicles with no head gasket problems and then test your own to compare readings.
Unfortunately I don’t have a clue what the reading would be.
I have a FGA too, but I’ve never thought of using it this way.
I do remember in the days of yore, guys setting up oil boilers using test liquids before FGAs came along.

As far as I know, these fluid products detect the prescence of CO2 and nitrogen dioxide......there is a fair chance that your flue gas analyser could play a part here, you know!
The trouble is, you’d need to test a few vehicles with no head gasket problems and then test your own to compare readings.
Unfortunately I don’t have a clue what the reading would be.
I have a FGA too, but I’ve never thought of using it this way.
I do remember in the days of yore, guys setting up oil boilers using test liquids before FGAs came along.

I will test my own and the do someone else’s later on.
See what happenes

John, so I used my FGA and picked up COppm readings throughout the tank but no CO2.

Mechanic has said its def head gasket. I’m not to sure what tests if any he done as I was still driving it yesterday. I have one of them air testers coming tomorrow for a definite answer

I do feel he's correct but would like to hear the outcome, and what you intend to do afterwards!

I do feel he's correct but would like to hear the outcome, and what you intend to do afterwards!
What I intend to do...... well he has already said he wouldn’t do a head gasket repair. I’m pretty sure there are also not many mechanics lining up to take on the job, plus at best it may cost £500 for a van that’s probably not worth much more than that.
I’m still sceptical as to whether it is head gasket as it means I’ve probably been driving round like it for about 2 years, and there are no other signs in oil or exhaust that suggest it.

it’s still driveable, also if I take tenthermostat out it won’t never overheat. So if the head gasket is confirmed, I will probably take thebthermostat out and get a plug in heater and drive it until it gives up or start looking for a new van.

John. Thought I’d update
My mechanic said Head gasket straight away but didn’t do much! I found something blocking the small pipe to water tank, cleared that and back bubbling largely went away. I used k seal ultimate head gasket repair, drove for a few days and it seemed to hold water, although no heater still. Then I started messing about again to get the heater going and it started losing water again. I’m convinced its air locks. I don’t the rest with the liquid and that indicates a normal head gasket. With water cap off, if I go 4000 revs water comes out the tank. Ia that normal or air lock/blockage.

There are two small diameter pipes leading to the header tank I think? Either way, make sure they are both clear. I also think there is a small diameter water pipe in the throttle body / inlet manifold area that needs to be clear.
Revving your engine with the expansion bottle cap off will cause the coolant level to increase, but not to the extend that the liquid is forced out of the top of the bottle.
Has the coloured liquid test been done yet? This will show up the issue for sure.

Sponsored Links
Back