Vauxhall combo 53 plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had ongoing issue with van not turning over at all. Tapping the solenoid on the starter motor used to get it going for a few weeks. Today, it needs lots of tapping every time I start it, so it's finally had it. Can't get a mobile mechanic for a week How hard a task is this to change? Am I right in thinking expansion tank and deliver filter is all that needs to come out to get at it? I repair boilers for a living and have done car parts before.... Hard task??
Also, when I put the metal tapper in I was using, I created some sparking which alarmed me!! Is this just because I used a metal object and it was touching a cable around the starter? Or something more sinister??
Advice and guidance much appreciated

Sponsored Links
First, there's a constantly live lead on the starter motor, so all you've done there is to flash it to earth with a screwdriver or whatever - don't worry about that one.
As for the starter, maybe MFarrow will be along as the combi guru, but you'll need to get the front of the van up in the air on some axle stands to see how awkward it is, if its not fully accessible from above. I don't think you need to drop the exhaust on these!
You'll need to disconnect the battery of course.
John :)

I have a Hayes manual and I'm sure it said expansion tank out and delink filter out, when I looked before but I can't remember fully. Hopefully got a guy coming tomo, if he's not trying it on with the price il just get him to do it. Should be about £150 right?

Sponsored Links
Well that's what I've been charged before. So will wait and see

Back