vauxhall combo van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
bit of a story.
before I start ive paid 2 different mechanics to fix the problem.
when im driving along the back wheels sound like a train. and handbrake not great

the first time I took it to the mechanics the spring had come lose.

4-6 days later same thing so to it back to the mechanic he said the adjuster had moved

again 1 week or so later same problem ...... he said the pivit keeps moving.

in the end I left it.

second mechanics now I run the van in for mot fails on handbrake so they adjust something in the back wheels and I think they changed the pivet.

1 week later same thing so..

its got to the point where I cant be bothered no-one seems to be able to fix the dam thing.

today all of a sudden as well as sounding like a train its now grinding.

its the old version 53 plate with the drums at the back any ideas im getting sick and tired of this van but not got the funds to change it.

p.s I also changed the front disc's and pads about 1-1/2 months ago but the train sound was happing before I did this..

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the self adjusting mechanism within your rear brakes is failing.....the purpose of this is to keep the brake shoes, as they wear, in close proximity to the drum.
If the adjusters don't work, then the handbrake lever travel is excessive and also the brake pedal will be able to be pushed much further down before the brakes start to slow you.
If only one side fails, then the braking effort will be different on each wheel, hence the MOT fail.
On occasion, the adjusters can slip so we are back to square one.
This can't be rocket science really....I'd be inclined to replace the shoes (sometimes they have half the adjustment mechanism already attached) and also the adjusters at the same time.....these are likely to be a dealer part I'd guess.
It shouldn't be that difficult to sort!
John :)

Hi John thanks for the reply I'm at my wits end with this problem

With the first garage I did say to him if he thinks the brakes need changing this change them and the drum but I think he changed just the springs

Not sure where your based but do you no a garage in Croydon someone that noes what there doing I'm not to bother about the price I just want it done this time
Thanks
Lee

Sorry just see your from Northumberland so very much doubt it

Lee, its the adjusters that are slipping, not the return springs!
I'm not sure which adjusters apply to your van, but some are of the 'toothed quadrant' type - and as the teeth wear and become smooth, then the quadrants just slip over eachother and the adjustment is lost.
I can't see any great problem with fixing this, but I doubt if the dealer would have the bits in stock - usually its a two day wait.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks John just a bit confused why to garages can't fix the problem when it sounds pretty simple diagnostics

Ill call a different garage in the morning and tell them I want new back disc brakes and new adjusters
Also if the drums need replacing do them

Thanks again John fingers crossed this time

Just new shoes and adjusters Lee - its possible to measure the drums to see if they are beyond their wear limit so they may be fine.
Be lucky!

Back