Vauxhall Corsa 1.0l Envoy 12v, Year 2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am having starting faults with my corsa. If left over night it will not start in the morning, I have to push start the car in order for it to start. When I turn the ignition the car tries starting but it is as if there is not enough juice to start it. I have checked the voltage going to the battery when the car is running and it is 14v-14.3v, and when the engine is off it is sitting at 12.8v. When I have had the car running for a period of time, or taken it for a drive, if I park up and turn the engine off, then back on again it will start straight away, however if it is left for longer than an hour it will not start. The engine management light is on prior to starting the car, and if it will not start it continues to stay on (when push starting it is on until the engine fires and the light goes out).

Few of my friends and the college I am at say it could be: a duff battery, an electrical fault e.g. coil or sensor or a few other things.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to this as it's a pain in the arse having to push start it all the time! I have changed the battery but the same fault occurs leading me to believe it is not the battery.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! (Sorry if this topic has already been posted before!)

Ozzy

Sponsored Links
Hi Ozzy

How old is the battery? Sounds like typical battery failure.

Peter

I'm not entirely sure as it doesn't have a mm/yyyy stamp on it, but it isnt that old, maybe 2 or 3 years. I thought originally it was a battery failure, so I replaced the battery with a newer one (the one I'm using now) but the fault is still occuring.

Ozzy

Mmm, could be you have another faulty battery. If its reading 12.8 volts off charge its being charged OK, the only other possibility is that something is draining it when not in use, try disconnecting the battery at night, if it starts OK in the morning the battery is probably OK, if it doesn't it isn't.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Ozzy, i had a similar prob to yours a while back, all the time the car was running it was fine, park up overnite and it was almost dead in the morning, left battery lead off overnight, put on in the morning and all was well.
It turns out i had what they call a parasitic drain on the battery. To cure this you need to find someone with a meter, then its time to go round checking everything, mine was traced to a pcb that had become wet and it was randomly starting and stopping the fuel pump!! mind you the car was French.
Good luck fella, maybe some others will be along to help out.

Back