vauxhall corsa keeps losing power!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
vauxhall corsa (1999) keeps losing power! was told it was todo with the exhaust & catolitic converter, checked them out & still no joy, any advise?

would be most greatful
alan

Sponsored Links
Alan,so many people write into this forum with the same symptoms as yourself.There is no easy answer other than to get your car to a garage,(doesn't have to be a Vauxhall place).Get it on the diagnostic computer,this will interrogate the ECU memory and hopefully pinpoint the problem.It sounds like the lambda sensor or the MAF unit (mass air flow),but using guesswork to replace what it "might" be can cost a mint.
If you are sure the catalyser has not blocked,(great power killer)then you need to get it in for diagnosis.

Just out of curiosity, does it cut out as you are slowing down? If so it sounds like the same problem I had a few months back, my problem was the crank shaft piston (or something called that) Cost me over £150 before I found out it was that, apparently very common on the Corsa

alanegan said:
vauxhall corsa (1999) keeps losing power! was told it was todo with the exhaust & catolitic converter, checked them out & still no joy, any advise?

would be most greatful
alan

hi alan, don't mind me asking, how was you exhaust and cat checked? visually or otherwise? thanks.

Sponsored Links
mbolster said:
Just out of curiosity, does it cut out as you are slowing down? If so it sounds like the same problem I had a few months back, my problem was the crank shaft piston (or something called that) Cost me over £150 before I found out it was that, apparently very common on the Corsa

I think you mean the CPS (crank position sensor) ;)

What engine size of Corsa?

As an ex-vauxhall service dept chappie, there are quite a few potential problems, here, Idle Speed control valve, Mass Air flow meter, EGR valve, O2 Sensor, CPS to name a few.

Has the corsa thrown on the orange engine management light?

If so, I'd go get a diagnostic done, preferably Vauxhall Tech 2, rather than back street Mickey Mouse code readers. However if it hasn't there will be no fault codes stored.

CJ

i was told their is some kind of a fuel filter and if it gets blocked up it causes starvation of fuel and slugish power and sometimes jerking movement of the car once accelarator is applied.

BOB.ELOD said:
i was told their is some kind of a fuel filter and if it gets blocked up it causes starvation of fuel and slugish power and sometimes jerking movement of the car once accelarator is applied.

Hi Bob how you do mate. ;)

markie said:
BOB.ELOD said:

Hi Bob how you do mate. ;)

This is more like it and how do you do markie that other nasty fellow should take a leaf out of your book markie this is how newcomers to the forum should be treated.

BOB.ELOD said:

The fuel filter is underneath the car near to the off side rear wheel. The fuel lines are connected by two plastic clips, careful not to break them if you change the filter as a Vauxhall supplied one does not come with new clips. Spurious filters may do so however.

CJ

I had the exact probl;em as you so i changed the air filter and no joy.......
However i then went to scrap yard and bought a Air Mass Meter for only £15 which solved the problem and i now get 110mph again
Hopefully this helps

Paul

Hi, i have a vauxhall corsa 1.0 litre, think my car is miss fireing, as i try and press the gas pedal its lacking power i press the gas pedal and it takes longer than usual to get up to speed, as i drive it jerks sometimes, been happening more recently lately any ideas?

Crank shaft position sensor, easily replaced.

hey... the engine losing power problem i have come acroos a few times at work.. try changing the egr valve or if price is a problem remove the egr vave and give a clean with some carb cleaner... i dont think this could be anthing to do with the lambda sensor because the car would run poor when ideling at cold start or the enginr might get worse as it heats due to the sensor not telling the ecu to change the fuel/air ratio... i hope this helped

As it's a Vauxhall Corsa, the poor performance might be caused by one of the blue LEDs in the washer jets failing.

:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back