Vauxhall Meriva CDT. Warning light staying on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has the above car, (automatic version), and what I know as the 'Engine Management Light' does not go out when the engine starts. No fault code comes up and the only information she could find about it was to check the filler cap was secure, (it is), and check the oil level, (it's just over mid way on the stick), as it may stay on if the oil warning light is blown.
Can anyone shed any light on other possible causes we could check before putting it through a garage please?

Sponsored Links
Which code reader are you using, conny?
Some manufacturers - notably Ford and Vauxhall - are requiring dedicated software for the codes to be read. It's definitely the yellow management lamp that's on, isn't it?
John :)

Yes John. The symbol looks like a miniature(?) engine. No code number comes up on the dash.
Normally if the engine is in 'reduced power mode', such as after not being used for a week or more, it will show code 84 or something so we just look it up in the book. Turn off, wait a few seconds, turn on and it clears.
I know the lad along the road will plug his gizmo in and tell us what the problem is, and hopefully simply flick something to extinguish it, but just want to see if there is something we can do to sort it out.

I should say, it is a 63 reg if that is any use.

I see - for sure the fault code will be stored in the car's on board computer and it will probably show generic items which together are affecting the air intake temperature and pressure.
So - we need to consider things like the EGR performance, the DPF performance and whether there is a problem with the rubber turbo pipes.
How does the car behave performance wise? Is the tickover steady and reliable, is the starting good?
Does the car get a good long run from time to time?

Sponsored Links
Beware the low voltage battery, this can throw up an engine error light.

New battery was fitted just before Covid kicked off and so only been used for a few short journeys. Thanks Ed.

John, car starts no problem and gently idles while we are getting our seatbelts on and settled. I know about the DPF and, unlike mine, hers has a light that comes on if it's not re-generating properly plus we have never smelt any fumes like we did on mine recently. No idea what EGR stands for so can't answer that one. Accelerates like normal, brakes in a straight line and no problem with an emergency stop. Basically it seems to run as it usually does and not experiencing any problems. Just don't want to drive it unnecessarily in case we damage it.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation is effectively what it says.....exhaust gases are taken from the exhaust manifold, cooled and fed back into the induction system for reburning. A curious thing to do but it reduces pollution quite dramatically so we are stuck with it.
The problems are, the valve that controls the reintroduction of the exhaust tends to coke up and stick either open or closed (the valve isn't open all of the time - at tickover it is shut) and cleaning isn't always successful.
Anyway, I think you need to have the fault code read and cleared, and then observe things to see if it comes back and take it from there......your EGR certainly isn't stuck open as the tickover is fine.

Just to update you guys on this.
Car is now in the garage awaiting a part to be delivered. It is the exhaust emissions temperature sensor apparently.
Both the AA guy we called out, (as my wife said, "I'm paying for home start so I may as well use them."), and the guy in the garage, (who didn't know about the AA guy), gave the same diagnosis. It seems these gases can cause the engine to get too hot so the sensor switches on the fan to cool the engine down.
Cost of repair £215
Just cost me the same to have new track rods and links replaced and a new spring coil fitted to my nearside front after driving over a sewage lid on Saturday.

Just to let you know. When you disconnect the battery and reconnect on these it creates a light on the dash even if all appears fine. This is rectified by starting engine electric windows need to be fully opened and then closed (seems mad) then that particular fault clears. My other half had one of these and we just sold it. It is does go it has another quirky issue.

Just idly wondering if this problem is related in some way to the EGR.....which does in fact lower the combustion temperature. Faulty EGR can mean higher engine temperatures.
No worries, so long as it gets sorted!

Hopefully get it back tomorrow so I will update you on what they have done.

Sponsored Links
Back