Vax vacuum cleaner cable replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had to pull apart my Vax vacuum cleaner as the switch is not working and the cable also needed replacing.

I’ve got 3 cables coming out from the main motor. Can I combine it like I’ve done? See photo.
What is the red one for?

Thankyou.

Attachments

• 00762FF8-AB9A-4265-B013-AFC282ABAAEC.jpeg
    00762FF8-AB9A-4265-B013-AFC282ABAAEC.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Were they jointed together like that on the switch?
If the answer is no, then no you can't just short them out any way you fancy.
Did you take a photo, or make a diagram, of how the switch was wired before disconnecting?

All the Dyson motor pictures online show black and red cables only.
Neutral and live.
The switches are red in and red out. So live in and out.
How that relates to you picture I don't know.

The photo is how I’ve put it at the moment.

Basically the hoover has two switches on it. One starts the motor and the second one activates the revolving brushes so you can choose to have them on or off.
So would that mean blue and brown are power to main motor and then red is the additional rotating brush.
So by combining both they’ll both work?

Unfortunately it all fell to bits so I don’t have a previous note of how it was.

Sponsored Links
If you join them together as in your picture, yes, it would PROBABLY cause both functions to work continuously. However! To connect the mains across the brown and blue and use it in that manner is quite dangerous, and I would advise against doing so. If something goes wrong, you have no instant cut-off without having to get to the supply socket and switch off/pull plug out to isolate it.
You need to get a new switch and fit it correctly.

All the Dyson motor pictures online show black and red cables only.
Neutral and live.
The switches are red in and red out. So live in and out.
How that relates to you picture I don't know.

the OP mentioned a vax not a dyson

Ah.vax.

Have you looked on YouTube?
Don't know which Vax you have but here is a vax cable swap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back