Vectra C 2006 front washer/wiper failure

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi guys, hope you can help here.

A couple of weeks ago when I cleared my screen of snow and ice, I overlooked a small lump of ice . When the wiper hit this, it hesitated/stopped for a second and then carried on for another few wipes to get loose flakes of snow off and I then turned it off and drove to my destination. When I drove back, the wipers wouldn't work at all.

Today had first proper investigation with following results.

1) Front wipers will not work at any speed * and washer-pump also out
2) Rear wash/wipe works.
3) Following fuses checked and o.k. F5, F34, F22, F11, F14
4) Don't know how to check relays and also can't identify them. The engine fuse-box contains R7, R8, R9, R11 and R12 and my Haynes manual shows k6, k5, k7 and k9. k9 is referred to as the washer relay, k5 as front wiper slow/fast and k6 as front wiper on/off.
5) Searching for this problem on the Net, I found various references to the CIM, but there were always numerous concurrent dash-board faults allied to it. As far as I can see everything else on the steering wheel controls works, so hoping not that.
6) Took off top steering-column shroud and see nothing amiss

* during my "investigation", at one point the wipers came on when tried but would not do so again after being switched off.

Right, now sit back and await the bundled might of your experience and brain-power :)

Sponsored Links
Seems odd both wipers and washers are not working, if they share the same stalk switch it may be worth checking this out first.

Hmmm difficult one!
I think I'd check each and every fuse, just in case its the wiper self park system that's causing these spurious movements. Its strange that the washer pump is off too, and yet the rear wash works (unless there are two pumps, of course.)
The wiper motor isn't just spinning away though, indicating a stripped drive gear within, is it?
Do check any nearby multiplugs in the vicinity, just in case any excess current draw has caused some arcing in there.
John :)

ch427 - all four functions (wipe front/rear and wash front/rear) are on the same stalk and I'm unsure if it can be taken off ( manual says it cannot be "individually replaced " which, thinking about it, may mean that it can be taken off but not bought as a single item ). Need to have another look at that.

John - Your comment about the pump was a good insight. There is only one, so that makes it likely that the fault is in the control circuitry for the front wash/wipe but I have to say I struggle mightily with circuit diagrams for electronic systems where everything is "bussed".

The wiper motor is not turning, so presumably no power although I will check this with a meter in a day or so. There are no plugs visible after taking off the top shroud.

One thing I have not tried is the automotive version of "turn it off and turn it on again " i.e. battery disconnection ( have card with different codes ). Anyone think that is worthwhile ?

Sponsored Links
By all means disconnect the battery for a while, but have the radio code available! Its worth a try.
Its a confusing one, this......for the washer pump, it spins one way for the front, and then reverses for the rear so that would indicate the column switch - but why it should pack up like this is beyond me.
Have you checked each and every fuse? Its so typical of a fuse fault, because washing the front screen starts the wipers too.
The wiper motor will have a plug to connect it, so pull it out if you can, looking for burning or corrosion.
John :)

Have a good look at the wiper motor itself as quite a few have a blade fuse that is mounted parallel to motor casing. (As in same orientation as if you had simply laid it on side of motor).

If this fuse had failed then wipers would stop working. As @Burnerman said washer motor is driven in both directions depending upon which wipers are being used. How this is achieved on your vehicle I know not but it just might be that a voltage is fed back from wiper motor to washers to decode which direction the washer motor needs to rotate.

Maybe long shot but if your wiper motor has this 'local' fuse fitted it could account for your problem. Remember this fuse is actually part of the wiper motor assembly so there would be no mention of it in the manual.

Hi

Got the exact same symptoms:
-Front wipers and washer not working at all.
-back wiper and washer working.
-all fuses related to the wipers are ok.

Did you ever find any resolution to the problem?

Edit:
-Readout with op-com said "Front wiper park switch circuit malfunction - Error code: B3876-00"
-Dismantled the front wipers assembly to get to the motor/gear who has the wiper park switch built in.
-Found a cableshoe-connection buried in some silicon on the cover to the gear-housing attached to the motor.
-Made the connection tighter as the cable-shoe who was a bit loose, and tried the wipers which then worked! :)
-So fingers crossed that that was the problem as the inside of the gear-house needs to be drilled and is a lot more work.

Last edited:
Back