veggies not included.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
an out doors'y type friend of mine offered me some "game " meat to try. the wife cooked it, we ate it and it was delicious. turns out it was venison. young "bambi" meat.

ok, the youngster was not reared for death or was it slaughtered for its meat, but initially i felt a twinge of........ er .....dunno.... kinda ....guilt?

but it was only for an instant. the meat tasted good and it fed the family.

what next? a bit of tender foal, pup, baby penguin?!

so long as you don't think about its origins and only the taste, is this ok?

should we have a conscience, or just get on with it?

Sponsored Links
noseall
to be honest the lil minority that post here will give you know ideas .....or assumptions on this...

if we had a huge membership you could ask ...lol

anyway my 2cents ...

we eat prepacked slaughtered meat an nicely arranged for tescos to market ...

you are blessed to try ..... I have tried a few animals while in the S.T.A.Bs

venison , your chewing an hour later ...unless real farm (Boo/Hiss..lol) reared

they was a clever guy who said /forget his name who said ...

"Society is 7 meals away from Anarchy"......
like the fuel strike ....

any more an the troops on the streets , shoot to kill civvies ..

thats how our society is made up ..lol ;)
when the balloon goes up theres only a few paces in my VW camper with my wife an her sister ....;)

Game is most definitely on!

Can't beat a nice bit of rabbit, as long as its stewed so it is nice and tender (or quite young).

Woodpigeon is quite a beefy taste, but with a chicken texture.

Pheasant is spot on too.

Never had venison but "Wild Boar" (farm reared really) sausages are the bee's knees.

One of my hobbies is shooting (mainly for pest control). Anything I shoot goes in the oven/freezer, or to mates (with the exception of squirrels, feral pigeons and rats).

Don't see why people object to game, its "free range" at its best.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
so long as you don't think about its origins and only the taste, is this ok?

should we have a conscience, or just get on with it?
A bit over PC toward animals IMHO. We're omnivores, we eat veggies and meat, that's life.
That meat hunting has been changed into dedicated meat-farms and keeping the bloody part away from us in slaughterhouses, doesn't mean a thing: we need meat.
You've watch Bambi too many times ;)

it wasn't designed as an attempt at p.c towards animals, just a peculiar feeling i had when realizing it was not the regular, beef, pork, chicken, lamb etc.

i mean, how would you feel about eating say, dog or horse or swan so long as it was delicious?

I know what you meant, don't bite! You asked about what other people thought.

And eh, no problem with horse meat (I'm not English ;))
See here

noseall said:
what is the taste of horse comparable to WYL?
Salty, nice when cut thinly. Not in favour of thick pieces, but I know people who eat thick horse steak as Christmas breakfast.

The only meat I object to is veal 'cos of the appalling that the veal calves are raised in.

One of my hobbies is shooting (mainly for pest control). Anything I shoot goes in the oven / freezer, or to mates (with the exception of squirrels, feral pigeons and rats).

Why not squirrel? As you said you are into pest control, squirrels are most definitely pests, and are very tasty, just don't eat them between Feb and May.

Pigeons and rats, OK I can see that :D

Squirrels have been known to carry CJD. Bit of a prob in places like Kentucky where they are traditionally eaten.

Anyway, they're just rats with hairy tails.

Aviod their brains then, they'll have you climbing up the walls :D

The only meat I object to is veal 'cos of the appalling that the veal calves are raised in
Actually, welfare of British raised veal is extremely high. Gone are the days of "veal crates", certainly as far as UK veal is concerned.
Janet Street Porter is a great ambassador of veal, as seen on Gordon Ramsays F-Word. Don't let late 80's early 90's propaganda put you off...

Why not squirrel? As you said you are into pest control, squirrels are most definitely pests, and are very tasty, just don't eat them between Feb and May.
I quite willingly shoot them due to the damage they do to trees, but I don't think there is enough meat on your typical UK tree rat to warrant the time skinning them.

The standards applied to british veal however do not cover EU wide conditions. I believe one of the worst offenders were the dutch.

markie said:
How can anyone shot a rabbit :( I've seen water-ship down :LOL:

Read the book, seen the film, ate the stew and made a hat.

Rabbits are a bloody nuisance. They cause damage to land/embankents, livestock get injured tripping over rabbit holes. They breed like billy-o and spread like wildfire.

The whole of the UK is actually a rabbit clearance zone (with exception of Scilly Isles) and it is every land owners duty to kill or contain any rabbits on their land.

One of the reasons I stopped supporting the RSPCA is because they will quite happily rehabilitate injured pest species such as rabbits/grey squirrels/foxes. A good whack with the flat of a shovel is quite humane, and means they would be able to use their funds combatting cruelty and conservation of endangered indigenous species.

Sponsored Links
Back