Vehicle Identity Check Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle Identity Check (VIC).

My girlfriend has just been told that her little old Peugeot 106 (K-reg) has been written off following a minor accident. The only damage is a smashed rear side window & damaged quarter panel. It has been wriiten off as cost of repair is not seen as economical, it's only a £500 car!

I was thinking that it might be worth getting it repaired & putting it through the required Vehicle Identity Check test which only costs £35.
I can replace the window myself for only £25 & would just need to sort the panel out.

Does anyone have any experience of this test or have any relevant info on it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have not done this for a while, but you should have no problems. Read this link for an idea about the different catagories of Insurance write offs.

http://www.cleavemotorsalvage.com/whoweare.htm

There will be many others, this was the first though. The thing I don't understand is why you are involving the insurance anyway, considering you can repair it quite cheaply. Repairs aside, will it effect your no claims and what excess do you have? If you claim they alway's up the premium next time round. Even with protected NCD.That don't protect the premium.

If was someone elses fault ask them if they wan't to pay for the damage themselves because it will be cheaper for them too. You can usually retract claims if you want as long as they haven't paid out.

Can't comment on the actual test though sorry.

It's my girlfriends car.
A young lad on a motorbike crashed into the side of her - he admitted guilt straightway. He was a named driver on his grandads insurance.
The grandad said he had 'protected no claims' so preferred to go through his insurance. I am assuming the damage assessor has writen it off as the cost of repair in a proper garage is more than the car is worth.

I have done some searching on the Net about the VIC test & it seems fairly straight forward. It seems to be more concered with determining that the car is what we say it is & is not stolen.
The test itself only takes half a hour.

I intend to get the repairs a go myself as they are only cosmetic.

The old guy is mistaken, never fall for this yourself, and weigh up the true cost if the roles are ever reversed. All NCD protection does it what it says, protect your no claims discount. It as no effect whatsoever on the premium. If your premium was £500 and you have 60% ncd(£300) you pay £200. Have a big claim and the premium would go up to say £800 less discount (protected so say £480) you pay £320, cos they want their dosh back. Happens all the time even when its not your fault sometimes too. The old guy(or WHY) will end up paying more, it would have been cheaper in the long run to just give your girlfriend some money instead when the damage is minor.

BTW,I am presuming there was next to no damage on the motorbike too.

Real con job mate and you are right the checks are to stop ringers she will have no problems with a car belonging to her.

Sponsored Links
I collected my girlfriend's car from the garage where it was being examined by the Insurance Assessor. The lad in the garage said that because it was a old car the cost of repair (which he put at around £1,200) was more than the value of the car.
I stopped at a mates garage on the way back & got a quote from him for £200. The panel will beaten out & filled where nescessary & I am going to get a 2nd hand glass from a scrap yard for £25. He also told me that there should be no probs with the VIC test.

We actually offered to settle the cost of the damage via a cash payment - but they preferred to go through their Insurance.
I am hoping that this will have no effect on my girlfriends insurance!

i was offered NCD protection for about £120 on top and i thought your not getting anymore money out of me so i didnt go for it. i wrote my van off 3 weeks later and it was my fault, i was fully comp and had fully comp insurance. id bought the van for £2500 had it 12 months and got £2000 back, plus paid the insurance off for the rest of the year and the excess. ive just been quoted £850 fully comp up £250 from last year, 3rd party £600. ive gone 3rd party so im paying the same as last year so its a big con, ive been paying £600 for the last 6 years, so trying to keep hold of your full no claims is a waste of time its probably worth claiming every 4 years because your no better off. im insured with tesco and can still drive another car 3rd party.

Back