Velux, Can it bo done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have attached some photos i hope. The photos are ones i got from the builder he did the house prior to us buying it. From the garden photo you can see the extended section to the back of the house with the patio doors. The inside is all plastered and the steel also plastered etc. What i want to know is it possible for me to put a velux in this and remove the plaster inside and re plaster board it so you can see the pitch of the small extended roof. I want to do it because the room is reallly dark and the velux will offer a bit more light. I assume i would have to redo the wood joists etc but is this a job that can be done.
Cheers Guys

Sponsored Links
As I see it, you'll really only be illuminating the little extension and a liitle way into the room, inside the patio doors, due to the lintel over the patio doors blocking any light entering the room.
This lintel and the brickwork above it is really unmovable without a lot of expense.

But it's certainly doable. Don't forget you'll have to construct and pb the light well under the velux.

Seeing the roof construction, then it appears possible. However, as the roof is only 4 courses, then you are unlikely to get much choice in the size of window you could install. Being so small, it will not give that much extra light, as stated, especially given the size of next doors extension.

Thanks for the reply, I assume on the photo's you can see the the wood timbers which run horizontal from the front timber into the steel joist at the back. Can they be removed and just have the angled timbers going up into the brick work as the structure allowing from the inside just having a pitched angle plaster boarded.

Sponsored Links
The room is very dark and just thought even a bit of light is better than nothing and is it a difficult job for a builder.

I assume a builder could make the roof to take the velux and then strengthen so that i do not need the horizontal timbers in the photo.

Agreed, Velux nicer looking.

I don't think you could remove all ceiling joists as they appear to be supporting the front of the roof - might be wrong though!
get a velux sun tunnel :idea: I have and it looks like a mini velux on the roof ;) -if I could load a pic I would :oops:

How much light does it put in the room, is the light spread out via mirrors in the tunnel. Would be good if you could get a photo on

The most important thing here before you ever think of going back up there is health and safety :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back