Velux install from inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it standard to install a velux from the inside? The contractor is recommending a tower which is presumably adding significantly to the cost.

Supply and erect tower
Supply Velux MK04 roof window & flashing kit
Remove insulation and roof tiles, trim opening, alter insulation and reboard
Install roof window including roof tiling and installation of flashings
Supply tile fittings (eaves and gables)
Remove tower

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I did two about 20 years ago from the inside, assume its still do-able?

Get some more quotes or go back to the builder for an explanation?

I did mine entirely from the inside, 25 years ago. Lift one tile up, bring it inside, rinse and repeat until enough tiles have been removed for window, plus a few. Cut and reinforce roof timbers, insert window, fix, then flashing. Finally reinstall tiles close up to flashing. Most difficult part, is lifting the window into place they can be heavy.

I did mine entirely from the inside, 25 years ago. Lift one tile up, bring it inside, rinse and repeat until enough tiles have been removed for window, plus a few. Cut and reinforce roof timbers, insert window, fix, then flashing. Finally reinstall tiles close up to flashing. Most difficult part, is lifting the window into place they can be heavy.
Roof tiles are nailed down , or should be .

If it makes a difference, my roof is a mid 1950's and despite being in a quiet exposed location, I have never had a tile come off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back