Replacing / Enlarging a Velux Roof Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a new roof, with new frames, new tiles and new velux windows (all 1 year old now).

We have done most things right on our project, however one decision that i am REALLY not happy with is the size of our Velux windows.

We currently have 550x1200 top hung Velux windows, which are quite small.

I want to rip out these windows are replace with 940 x 1400 or 940 x 1600 velux.

Our roof trusses are at 600mm centes and so no trusses were cur for the current windows, but a single top section of truss would need to be cut for the new windows.

Here is a plan for what i want to do:

(Diagram shows face on view of slopes of roof trusses with timbers of 47 x 175mm)

full

I would normally double up the trusses either side of the window. However, we have VERY heavy duty timbers of 47 x 175mm supporting the roof tiles and 47 x 225 across the bottom string (floor). Also, we are using light weight Roof tiles at a weight of 20kg per square metre, but our roof trusses were designed for tiles that are 60+ kg per square metre.

So overall of roof trusses are over engineered and so i do not think that i need to use a double either side of the new velux. As the TOTAL load of roof components (tiles + top of truss + lats) above each window is only 70kg.

However i have incorporated double horizontal timbers above and below the new velux to support this 70kg and spread the load side ways to the other two trusses.

- My plan is to remove the current window and strip away a large amount of tiles etc.
- Remove the existing flashing and window frame.
- Put up acroprops and bolt in temp timbers bracing across three timbers to support the one timber that is going to be cut.
- Cut the middle timber vertical.
- Then to install the new timber horizontal pieces (47 x 175) using structural bolts/screws and steel brackets.
- Then put in the new offset timber vertical pieces to the new windows size.
- Then install the new window frame and sort out the lats, felt, flashing and tiles.
- Then sort out the inside again including a bit of OSB and some insulation.
- Then slot the new window into it's frame.
- Remove temp supports and acroprops

But what do people think?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back