Velux KSX100K WW automated opening kit - issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope this is the correct forum for this!

I have some old Velux roof windows (GGL 308 3000 - 20-25 years old) in a slope-roofed extension, and I recently bought a couple of Velux solar powered automation kits (KSX 100 K) for the older style of window.

Ordered ast September, delivered in January (something to do with electronics shortages due to Ukraine), and for various reasons I’m only getting around to fitting them now. They’re multipurpose kits for various styles of windows but they’re well thought through and apart from a lot of the diagrams being seemingly upside down and their instructional youtube videos being useless, it’s gone pretty well I think.

Except, they don’t do anything!! Solar panel plugs into battery plugs into motor, and it comes with a wireless controller that is pre-paired. I went to pair them in case that was the issue, but from what I can learn, if you hold the “Reset” button on the motor, after 10 secs the motor operates slightly so you know it is in pairing mode - however, nothing…

There is a label on the battery saying NiMH - charge date 6/22. Is it possible that the battery is completely dead and will take a couple of days to charge? I have to say that it is very warm and sunny today and they are on a south facing roof so they have had a good 3-4 hours of sun and still nothing…

I also bought some solar powered velux blinds and they worked straight out of the box.

Has anybody installed these and had any issues? I know it could be pairing, but the reset procedure ought to have the motor doing something I think…

I should mention that I have bench tested the other kit by plugging in the solar panel/battery/motor and trying the remote and that is also dead…

Sponsored Links
Have you inserted the magnet on the locking mechanism on your old skylight? If you hold the reset button for 15 seconds the t.bar should move in and out several times then return to the start position, you then need to press the pairing button on your remote control for 1 second, wait for 10 seconds then it should respond. The skylight needs to be closed!

Thanks for the reply - as I was messing around with the first window (checking the cables) it just started working, so I assumed it needed a bit of time to charge. I fitted the other one kit but despite it charging all day today on the sun there is no life from it. I’ve reseated the plugs several times and held the reset button down for 15+ secs several times but with no joy. The magnet is in place but I’m not seeing anything at all from the motor.

I’m not sure what else I can do…

Well if you swop the battery cells over you can see if you have a dud cell.

Sponsored Links
I swapped the non-working battery on to the working window and it’s not working, so I’m deducing:

- battery needs longer to charge (now seen 2 full days of hot sun on a south facing roof) (bear in mind the other one worked after 4 hours or so (but batteries have stickers saying they were charged in June 22)
- battery has failed internally in some way
- solar panel is failing to charge the battery for some reason (I have tried swapping cables and reseated connections several times

I am testing it by holding down the button on the motor for 15+ seconds but it doesn’t do the in/out pairing procedure.

The only other thing I can try is swapping the battery off the working window just to check that the motor isn’t dead - but clearly the battery is not putting out any power in any case…

Sounds like you have a dud battery, if your ring velux 01592 778 225
I'm sure they will swap it for you.

Just to update this - I emailed roofblinds who I bought it from, and they sent me a complete new kit! Swapped in the new battery and it worked out of the box. Left the old battery attached to the solar cell from the new kit in the window but even after a couple of weeks of sunshine (a distant memory now) it didn't work. Very happy with the kits. Now looking into the home integration kit so I can open/close them from my phone! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back