Velux refurb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys!

I'm doing some work in my attic, and I can't really afford to change the skylight for a new one, so my other option is to strip it down and refurb the velux. The window isn't rotten, or in bad condition, its faded, and has some water marks and other moldy type marks, but over all it's in good condition.

I need to replace the glass (I'm going to get a local window company to do that side of things) and I was planning in refurbing the frame and window myself.

Do anyone have a guide / "how-to" on how to remove, strip, and reassemble a velux?

I ideally need to remove the glass myself, so I can sand-down and varnish the wood without the glass getting in the way. I think I can see how to remove the glass, but I'm not 100% sure.
I'm also not 100% on how to remove the window from the frame, does anyone know the best way?

Also, what varnish, or other finish, would be best to use?

Thanks, Deano

P.S. Great site, only wish I'd found it sooner!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back