Velux replace sash only possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my question is - are the frames of velux windows (post 2014) all compatible between double and triple glazed?
I.e. is it possible to swap just the sash of a velux 2070 to the triple glazed 2062 without changing the actual frame?

My situation is I have two velux GGL CK02 2070 i.e. the bog standard double glazed, and the rain noise is excessive in the bedroom so I'd like to buy 2062's (noise reducing triple glazing) and just swap the sash that unclips easily rather than the whole frame (as swapping one of the the frames requires removing a bedded hip).

Thanks for any pointers and hope someone can help!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks yes I emailed but I realised I wouldn't get an answer until Monday (and sometimes the answer is officially no but actually yes)
No is the answer! The noise reduction 62 variant skylight is fitted differently.
Thanks is that the frame to roof interface that's different or just the sash to frame interface?

I might end up leaning out the window bedding a hip above in that case, wish me luck!

Its a different window as reflected in the price. What you can do to your own skylights is line the alloy trims & flashings with self adhesive foam to reduce the impact of hail and rain which comes on the noise reduction variant. Have you also considered fitting roller shutters?

Its a different window as reflected in the price. What you can do to your own skylights is line the alloy trims & flashings with self adhesive foam to reduce the impact of hail and rain which comes on the noise reduction variant. Have you also considered fitting roller shutters?
Thanks for the tips about foam I'll have a go at that.
Roller shutters is a good shout, hadn't though of that. Might be cheaper even for the fancy solar powered ones then a whole window.

The roller shutters are not cheap, but will also help keep your room warmer in winter and cooler in the summer months.

Do you mean roller blinds or the external shutters?
Interesting about the foam, I have triple glazed windows with the blinds but still plenty of rain noise.. maybe due to the large aluminium flashing bit on the EDT 2000?

Do you mean roller blinds or the external shutters?
Interesting about the foam, I have triple glazed windows with the blinds but still plenty of rain noise.. maybe due to the large aluminium flashing bit on the EDT 2000?
I think it's this one (see below), which looks tempting although it's within a few percent the same price as the whole 2062 window!
I'm going to try the foam trick first. That bedroom is a spare room so not occupied much. And the windows are effectively in the vaulted ceiling, so the manual one is not practical.

1684011831034.jpeg
1684011846249.jpeg

Yes those are the ones. The flashing components are alloy and are about 1.5mm thick do allow noise to be heard inside under heavy rain and hail, especially if the skylight has been fitted poorly and no felt collars been used.
I bought some sticky foam matt of flee bay a few months ago and lined my engine bay and bonnet of my van, and it has reduced the noise in the cab.

So just as an update, after chatting with velux techincal this morning -

The frames are indeed different part numbers as you mentioned, however they are cross compatible (without the full benefits of the --62 system)

Velux are going to quote me for two options -
1. the complete sash, and
2. the relevant parts to adapt the existing sash - glazing (IPL CK02 0062SG) + 2->3 layer upgrade kit (IGR CK02 3038) and a pair each of sound insulating upper and lower covers.

They also mentioned the solar powered roller shutters as an option.

Thanks for everyone's help - I'll endeavour to update this thread if I go ahead with any of the options.

That's interesting! I've asked in the past if you can just get a sash on its own and they have said no!
Your skylights are the latest generation so maybe that's why they are available.
I think if I was upgrading I would go with the solar roller shutters, you can lie in bed and open them in the morning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back