Velux leaking after glass replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last Monday had a cracked Velux-type window (centre-opening) replaced by a local glazier. He removed the old double-glazed unit and replaced with a brand new double-glazed unit, by unscrewing the metal bits holding the glass into the sash. Then screwing the metal bits back onto the sash once he put the new glass in.

However, after heavy rain on Thursday, I noticed a leak coming from the left-hand corner of the window, as well as from around the "well" holding the lock into the window frame, you know fixed to the house. Called the glazier back on Friday to ask him what might be going on, and he reckoned all the screws were tight so he put sealant all around the inside and outside edges of the glass and said give it 24 hours for it to set.

But then yesterday (Saturday) it rained during the morning, which might have affected the sealant setting, though I didn't notice any leaks by that time. Then on Saturday evening it rained really heavily for about two hours, so I checked the window after one hour, relieved to see no leaks by that time, but after two hours passed, that's when I noticed it leaking again from around the "lock well" on the window frame. Luckily the rain storm passed after only a few minutes. Noticed that on Saturday and on Thursday there was a lot of water sitting in the gap between sash and frame.

Should I call him back to make sure he reassembled the sash correctly, or look elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
DSCN9358.JPG DSCN9361.JPG DSCN9362.JPG DSCN9366.JPG DSCN9369.JPG DSCN9372.JPG DSCN9373.JPG DSCN9375.JPG DSCN9377.JPG DSCN9378.JPG
Post a pic outside and in if you can.
More pics to follow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back