Velux Reveals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have three velux windows installed and i now am at the stage of putting the plasterboard in. Obviously there is the groove where the plasterboard goes, the question i have is, should it come out the grooves straight or flared?

To be honest i would prefer straight as i feel it looks better.

I could flare it out but am concerned it would not match on either side and would look sloppy, i am limited to the amount of 'flare age' i can do (probably about an inch on either side - might be a little more), don't know if it would be worth it.

What does everyone else do in these situations, i want to maximise the light but unsure of the gain versus the aggro of working it out

Lee

Sponsored Links
square them all up the same with some offcuts

This roof is a truss roof and i am pretty sure that the windows (3 of them) were not installed 'exactly' plumb square. Where can i hide the difference, i guess if the ceiling opening is square then this should not be a big issue.

If your window sits in between the trusses then there should be at least 10mm each side, this will probably be enough to pack out the reveals, to get them plumb. I chamfered the boards just a little to get them in the window rebate.

On my roof, I've flared the top and bottom, but couldn't really do the sides, due to truss spacings.

Previous installs have not been flared, I know you can get more light in by flaring, but, from never having velux to now having them, I'm more than happy with the light they give anyway.

Sponsored Links
Yeah there is at least 10mm on each side, probably a fair bit more as there is the insulation collar and a bit of space. My worry is that at the top end of the window it might be 'lets say' 25mm between the velux groove and the truss and at the bottom of the window it is 35mm. I can put the plasterboard in vertically which is fine but then if i measure from the wall to the 'opening' it would not be equal at each end.

Is the aim to get the plasterboard vertical and suck it in and put with it, or to ensure that the opening in the ceiling is bang on square?

I hear what you are saying, so it sounds like the window might not be in square? and the trusses slightly out of plumb.
If the window is fitted, then you'll have to work with this.

Depends on how far the groove to you wall is, as to wether or not you can tell it's not square and by how much.

If you measure from the wall to the groove top, and again to groove bottom are the measurements different? and by how much?

i will put a test strip of plasterboard up and work it out, hopefully not too much. These are big ones 1600 high and 900 wide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back