Velux Window: Concerns about Rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attached are several pictures of two Velux windows installed in June and then yesterday changed to follow the recommendation of Building Control for a Regularisation Application. I know nothing and am posting to see if anyone has any opinion about the structure in the picture. In particular (and perhaps I'm being naive) I cannot understand how the two new pieces of wood on the right side of the right window are being supported given that they do not run the length of the original rafters (ie from ridge to wall plate). Building Control had indicated the following:

"It is considered that the rafters should be doubled and bolted together on all four sides of each roof-light. Rafters either side should span between the reach of the roof and the support. Needs to stand between the supports where the existing are (normally the ridge board down to the support, which is normally the wall plate). Some sort of nominal bolting so it acts as one piece rather. The ones that are in at the moment are OK. Just below the window there’s a stud wall, if it’s breaking the support then the rafter can finish there. Just need additional rafters either side from the ridge to the support wall. Can leave what’s there but double up on them."

Would love any opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_2654.JPG
    IMG_2654.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 806
  • IMG_2655.JPG
    IMG_2655.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_2656.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_2657.JPG
    IMG_2657.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 499
Sponsored Links
Your dim focus pics only show framing around the windows not the wall plate or ridge.

The common rafters have to be doubled up not just supported or strengthened by a second piece - is how i would do it, and how i think the BCO requires it.

That's my feeling as well. Presumably BCO when they inspect know all this and understand from a SE perspective what needs to be done, right? In other words, I wouldn't have to worry about them missing something that's not correct?

Interestingly this is the original work that was not acceptable.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    908.1 KB · Views: 497
Nobody ever takes responsibility for anything they write, do they? "It is considered that" for "I think".

Sponsored Links
I am finding it difficult to believe that b.c. would be ok with any of that work.

From a structural perspective, it's rare that rafters would need doubling up around a Velux.
Most building inspectors don't seem to understand this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back