Velux Window Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! I'm hopefully going to be converting a stone shed which is attached to our house into another living room and I'd be very grateful for any advice about how many (and what size) Veluxes to have installed.

I can't have any windows in the walls as they will overlook our neighbours to the rear and the local shop to the front - I don't want people peering in! So we're going to put Velux windows in the South-facing side of the roofAs we live in the Hebrides, it's usually gloomy and overcast so I'm thinking the more windows the better. Also, it'll be too late once they're installed to put larger ones in.

The room will be 5.49m x 4.13m give or take for insulation and studwork and boarding and we have the possible combinations of:

2 x GGL U08 (1.34m x 1.4m) = 3.75m2 area
3 x GGL U08 = 5.63m2 area
3 x GGL S08 (1.14m x 1.4) = 4.79m2 area
1 x GGL U08 & 2 x GGL S08 = 5.07m2 area
3 x GGL M08 (0.78m x 1.4m) =3.28m2 area
1 x GGL U08 & 2 x GGL M08 = 4.06m2 area

What would be best? The better half wants the 3 x M08 as she says the windows will look too close together otherwise - I think it'll be too dark and will make the room feel small, gloomy and dark. I would prefer 3 x U08 but that'll only leave 36cm between windows, which might be too small, so I'll probably go for 1 x U08 and 2 x S08, which gives 46cm between windows. Is there a minimum distance and which combination would be better for this size room?

The total floor area is going to be around 22.67m2 so anything above 4.53m2 is greater than the supposed 20% guideline. However, the sizes above are frame sizes, not glazed sizes!

Any thoughts please as the other half thinks my preferred options is going to be too light (I'm thinking we could just pull the blinds down!) and I think her choice will be too dark!! Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Have you considered gable windows and or skylight tubes as an alternative to Velux windows.
Two gables, even on a mono pitch roof (you don't give a configuration) could give more than double the light of Velux that you've in any of your stated configurations and could be triple glazed if that's your wish. Plus with the winds you record up in the Wester Isles would not be a problem.
Have a look at the gables View media item 63845 or a conservatory type roof ...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back