Velux window plaster board support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Putting a velux in and have made a frame around the existing ceiling to roof so I can attach board to it. On one side there is a huge void behind the board so I have mocked up using an old plasterboard to get some idea of what to do.
Would you put timber packers behind or screw up some kind on triangular frame to support the board about half way up?

Hopefully pics will help explain.
20211116_131745.jpg
20211116_131726.jpg
20211116_131657.jpg
20211116_131640.jpg
20211116_131557.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would... Just a couple of battens/stud at each corner top to bottom, otherwise the plasterboard will be saggy.

One in the middle if you've got time to kill.

I also put celotex around the back of reveals as well.

They look like fakro skylights to me! If you insulate the lightwell box with 75mm kingspan or similar this will stiffen the plasterboard a lot, you can just glue it to the back of the lightwell, expanding foam works well and is fast setting but it need bracing or clamping for approx 15 mins depending on temp. I only ever use foil backed plasterboard in this situation.

Sponsored Links
Yeah you're right it's Fakro.
I've made a frame. I was tempted to use expanding foam but I can fill the frame with insulation. That part of the void is actually part of the house , it was originally an outside wall but this is the extension I'm redoing.
20211116_183106.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back