Velux windows leaking after installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had three velux roof windows installed a couple of days ago into a 16 degree roof on our new extension. Tiles are Marley Mendip which are good to 15 degrees if installed correctly. Flashing is EDW.

All three windows are leaking.

Photos of the installation can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/fliptrick/sets/72157631605867503/ .

All three windows are leaking on the left side of the window (as seen from the exterior of the house.)

Have the tiles been cut too short? Or is it to do with how the foam strip has been located or cut down?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
phone up the installers quick sharp and get them back to investigate.

And you don't want a bodge repair either.

The roof felt or membrane should be lapped up the side of the velux frame before the flashing is fitted. So that even if water gets behind the flashing, it is still kept out by the felt/membrane.

We staple some strips of membrane up the side of the velux to form an additional "flashing" too

Sponsored Links
Did you see them installing the windows? and do you know what parts they used?

There are many 'accessory' parts that are kind of optional (not included with either the window or flashing kits)..

Unfortunately I'm at working whilst the fitting is going on. They came back the other day and moved things about a bit. We had some admittedly lighter rain and nothing has come in so far.

I will ask what changes they made but I doubt very much that they removed everything to fit the underfelt collar. Perhaps they just shifted the foam wedge a little bit. That is the only change I can see.

Are the leaks at the top or the bottom of the windows?

If they are leaking at the bottom, check that water can flow freely off of the 'corrugated' lead flashing; quite often when used with profiled tiles the water gets caught in a trough and flows off sideways.

No the tiles are not cut short, the collar mentioned by others is an option and not essential. The cut tiles are fairly neat.. The small cut is i shame .but hey ho

While the underlay helps keep things dry, it in it's self will not keep water out for ever

As roofer says if the wet is to the bottom of the window then check it's not tracking sideways.

if it leaks on the sides look very very closely that all trim screws are in place..

Better still speak nicely to the fitters and get them to sort it. It wont be much of an issue to correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back