Veneer restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hoping someone can help a beginner! I have a small chest of drawers, dark in colour and varnished. The top and the drawer fronts are veneered. The top especially needs attention. I read on line that you can use paint and varnish remover on veneer, but to leave it on for less time than the other sections. I purchased Nitromors paint and varnish remover, and when I contacted the good folk at Nitromors they said any remover will possibly get under the veneer and lift it. I am now at a loss at what to do next and hope someone can suggest what I can purchase to use on the veneers. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
good ole elbow grease then,
go gently though on the edges as your be through the veneer quite quickly.

Hi gregers

Good ole elbow grease using what?, very fine sanding paper? Cheers

Sponsored Links
A whatever you do use a fairly rigid "rubber" to wrap it around. That way you'll reduce the chances of sanding through and dubbing-over the edges. A word of caution, lower-end furniture made in the 1930s in particular used plywood panels and drawer fronts which were sawn out of veneered plywood boards (often with walnut or mahogany veneers) - and on that sort of furniture the veneer is so than that it can be all but unsandable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back