Venetian Blind - Want to make the bottom half fixed closed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Here's what I need to do. I have a wooden venetian blind in my bathroom and ideally want the bottom half to stay closed all the time for privacy but to be able to open the top half for most of the day.

I've googled a lot and seen lot of ideas for independantly tilting blinds patents and all that garbage but no info on what I plan to do.

My thinking is that if I cut only the front string just below the last slat that I want open then the bottom section "should" just stay in the closed position when opening the top!!

Anyone ever tried to do this? I'm just asking before I cut this string because if it doesn't work and all goes horribly wrong I doubt that I would have much success in rejoing the string!!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Anyone?

Ok if not, then I'm gonna cut it tomorrow night!

Will post a report back when cut.

If good then all happy.
If bad then I guess I'll be buying a new blind :(

night all.

On

you'll cut the string and the blind blade below the cut will just fall out.. ;)
sounds like a workable idea..

why not go for stick on film for the bottom off the window to give you privacy
you can get all sorts from opaque to coloured reflective

Sponsored Links
Coljack

I am only planning on cutting the front string, so think the slat below the cut might just drop slightly as it will still be retained by the middle string.
( I hope any way!!) ;)

Big-all

Have tried the film before I had upvc put in. It was "OK" but not the nicest looking and not completely private when lights on inside. And the wife didn't like it either!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers both for feedback.

Well, I don't know if anyones interested or not but I went ahead and cut the front string yesterday.

All is good. Only thing was the slat below the cut dropped a little more than I had imagined and looked a little out if place.

Remedy : tiny cable tie used to attach the cut front string to the middle string.

Worked a treat, and I now have a blind exactly how I wanted it: closed at the bottom and the option to only open the top when required.

Venetian blinds - 0, Owen - 1

Except the wife still closes the top all the time!

Team Venetian blinds & Wife - 1, Owen - 0 :(

If anyones intersted then I'll up a couple of pics.

Cheers

Almost happily contented diyer!

I realise this was posted in 2009 but it just goes to show that some questions are eternal! You have answered my exact question ... and I'll implement your suggestion. All this after being told by hubbie "no, it can't be done". Gotta love this world wide web! :)

Don't understand the reasoning behind this Venetian blinds provide privacy when tilted down and still allow in light.

I have a long floor to ceiling window with a venetian in my office. As the bottom part of the window shows the messy part of the office equipment with cords etc I want that permanently "blocked" from outside view ... but I still want the top half of the window open to let in the view and the light.

No one can see in if the blind is slightly tilted, would need to be in a helicopter to obtain the right angle to see in.

Well I won't argue with you ... but if you walk up the path to my home office you can see straight into the office even with the blinds slight tilted. No helicopter needed.

Well I won't argue with you ... but if you walk up the path to my home office you can see straight into the office even with the blinds slight tilted. No helicopter needed.
You are tilting them in the wrong direction.

If only it were that simple. I need to tilt them "the wrong way" (in your words) to get maximum natural light coming in on my desk workspace. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back