Vent/Expansion and makeup pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was looking round a new house build and as a one time Plumber was looking at the pipework in the cylinder cupboard.
I was chatting to the Plumber and queried the way he had positioned the cold feed and expansion pipe.
On the main pumped flow to the cylinder he had branched off into the cylinder and continued the tube up over the make up tank in 15mm as normal.
Halfway up the cupboard he had taken a 15mm tee off this which was the cold feed down from the tank.
He asked if I thought this was wrong and after thinking about it I said no I can't really think of any technical reason why this shouldnt be done but we used to keep them separate and take them both separately off the main flow and return pipes near the cylinder.
Obviously they should be kept close to each other to prevent any pumping over the tank.
His method seemed to fulfill all requirements perfectly and I wondered if this was normal practise nowadays and if any of you had any opinions on this method.
wemyss

Sponsored Links
If you use this method then the vent and cold fill should be 22mm minimum and the boiler must have an overheat stat.

In fact ANY open vent these days MUST be 22mm, ch and domestic HW.

C'mon now ...... You know that plumbers are like God ....... They move in mysterious ways .......... & if they make a mistake they can Bull $hit for Britain :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back