Vent in open fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help with this one folks would be really appreciated.....

My old fireplace had been previously bricked-up and an air-brick put in place. Anyway, I decided to knock through to create an open fireplace inlet, which I plan to plaster-board up (side, back and top) and make a feature of. The question I have is:

I obviously need to keep an air-flow from the chimney to avoid damp occurring but would it be suffice to plaster-board the top of the fireplace and drill some holes in the plasterboard to allow air flow? I know it sounds a bit heath-robinson but it would avoid having to fit an air vent on the plasterboard at the top of my fireplace inlet.

Any help would be most appreciated.

cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
A vent facing up the chimney will deposit a steady stream of dirt into your new feature. :eek: :eek: :eek: A vent facing forwards remains clear while dirt piles up in the dead space behind and below it. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back