Using standard plasterboard 9.5mm to board up fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am I ok to use standard plasterboard 9.5mm to board up a brick fireplace?
There seems to be mixed opinions on this as some are saying to use brick/block, others are say to use moisture resistant plasterboard?

If it is ok to use plasterboard, I've got some wickes instant grab adhesive (solvented) - can I use this to fix the plasterboard to the brick fireplace - I've cut away about 10-15mm of plaster surrounding the brick fireplace opening to allow for the fixing - is this sufficient?

From the threads I've read, I know its important to put in a air vent and cowl the chimney pot.

I've a plasma tv mounted on the chimney breast and I've channelled cables through the plaster which will then go behind the plasterboard covering the fireplace opening and come out through a cable faceplate which has brushes/hairs - would this be sufficient to use as an airvent? or best to still use a dedicated airvent?

I'll be wallpapering over, I've 3 mini-trunking carrying 2 hdmi and 1 tv power cable - I take it the trunking will probably show through the wallpaper - is it best to use polyfilla to cover over the trunking and sand down?

sorry for the questions, I'm pretty pathetic when it comes to diy - I decided its high time to get manly with tools and try to learn how to do things properly. Its enjoyable and a great sense of achievement once things work out!

Appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Depend how well the chimney is capped and vented, you can get rain down the chimney which will destroy plasterboard, you can use plasterboard and add a vent but you may end up replacing if it gets damp.

I've had the fireplace open for some weeks now during renovation, just covering it with a loose plasterboard offcut. With all the rain we've been having, the fireplace is dry and I've not seen any rain come down? though I do feel a draft round the chimney when the wind is blowing. Would I expect to seen rain come down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back