Vent pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the rules around soil vent pipes? I ask because at work, (a newly refurbished building with a new wooden floor and no access underneath where the drains run) they fitted a toilet with its waste pipe going straight into a 90 deg bend and into the floor, and a rodding point on top of the 90 deg bend (which is useless, the guys who rod it just pull the 90 deg bend off completely - it blocks frequently).

Anyway, there is no facility to vent here, so adjacent to the toilet waste is a ~50mm pipe emerging from the floor, which the kitchen sinks and wash hand basins drain into, and the pipe carries on up into the roofspace, where a non return valve is fitted as a vent. As I said, this pipe is only about 50mm (dont know exact sizes sorry).

I thought vent pipes had to be 100mm, so they could take in plenty of air when the bog is flushed.

And why put the non return valve in the roofspace, why not a shorter upstand for it? (I have seen this, where the toilet was upstairs, and the vent was just above the toilet cistern)

Sponsored Links
It may be an open vent in the loft ( should go to the outside though ).

The valve you have seen is an air admittance valve. Lets air IN but not OUT with smells.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The vent should be 75 mm minimum on a soil stack.

The blockage is probably down to not using a rest bend underground or poor drains. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back