vent problem on soil stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Not normally a DIYer and sorry to sound ignorant.

The house I have just moved into has an external soil stack with a cap like device on top. This is high up on the roof and not very accessible. It looks like it could be an air admittance valve. Now - the room BENEATH the bathroom which is served by the stack is well - a little smelly.

Theory: could the smell be because the soil pipe is not properly venting outside (because of the "AAV"?)

1. Is it a good idea to remove this cap like device?
2. Is this a straightforward job?
3. What problems might occur if the device were removed? :confused: I can't really understand why my house has this and my neighbours do not... Why might it have been installed in the first place, I wonder....??

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture - it may not actually be an AAV? How high above the window would you estimate this cowl to be - should be a minimum of 900mm. Even if it proves to be an AAV, this wouldn't really explain the smell in your bathroom since, by definition, it would prevent unpleasant odours emitting from the pipe.

Thank you.

The house is double storey and the pipe and cowl like structure are on the eaves of the roof just behind a dormer window. I'm at work just now - but I'm pretty sure that the pipe is lower than the top of the ensuite dormer window.

Something like below but a little lower and with the window in the middle.

'/\

I'll see if I can get a picture up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back