1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Vented Thermal Store with 3 plate exchangers

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by sirocosm, 4 Aug 2019.

1. sirocosm

sirocosm

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am thinking about fitting a small (300l) vented thermal store for a 4 bedroom house. I would use a plate exchanger for DHW. I was thinking also to use plate exchangers to connect the existing sealed gas system boiler, and another for the rads with a smartpump and TRVs all around.

Does anyone run a similar setup? and can anyone see any obvious problems with this approach?

2. Mike2007

Mike2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have worked on a customer's system where he has open vent biomass and I connected sealed systems for flats via some big 60kw flat plate heat exchangers.
    There are many thermal stores on the market but Gledhill are a good brand.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. sirocosm

sirocosm

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, that is good to know.

Would you have any recommendations for a specific tank? For vented it needs to be stainless, I would like around 300 litres and no coils, but a lot of decent size (i.e. at least 1 inch) connectors.

4. Mike2007

Mike2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Gledhill Torrent or even a Boiler Mate. Both vented with multipoint connection for primary heating water.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. sirocosm

sirocosm

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. Can you buy the Torrent without all that stuff hanging off the side? (exchanger, pump, controls, etc). I would like to fit my own exchanger and controls. I plan to run the tank at 60C and the exchangers provided will likely be too small. Plus I would like to use off the shelf standard sized parts, so that maintenance is easy.

What I am looking for is a simple, quality (i.e. thick), stainless vented tank with a lot of connectors. It doesn't matter if it is heavy.

6. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For what it is worth,

I have a hot water cylinder that (a) supplies low pressure hot water to the bath and basin taps and (b) serves as a heat store for heating mains pressure water to the shower.

The green / orange item is a coil

twin_coil.jpg

This avoids the use of any pumps or control systems for the shower ( the shower works during a power cut ) other than the cylinder thermostat and timer controlling the boiler heating the cylinder.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. sirocosm

sirocosm

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for that, it looks like a nice setup, and not so far from what I would like to do. 3PE.jpg