Vented Thermal Store with 3 plate exchangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about fitting a small (300l) vented thermal store for a 4 bedroom house. I would use a plate exchanger for DHW. I was thinking also to use plate exchangers to connect the existing sealed gas system boiler, and another for the rads with a smartpump and TRVs all around.

Does anyone run a similar setup? and can anyone see any obvious problems with this approach?

Sponsored Links
I have worked on a customer's system where he has open vent biomass and I connected sealed systems for flats via some big 60kw flat plate heat exchangers.
There are many thermal stores on the market but Gledhill are a good brand.

Thanks, that is good to know.

Would you have any recommendations for a specific tank? For vented it needs to be stainless, I would like around 300 litres and no coils, but a lot of decent size (i.e. at least 1 inch) connectors.

Thanks, that is good to know.

Would you have any recommendations for a specific tank? For vented it needs to be stainless, I would like around 300 litres and no coils, but a lot of decent size (i.e. at least 1 inch) connectors.
Gledhill Torrent or even a Boiler Mate. Both vented with multipoint connection for primary heating water.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Can you buy the Torrent without all that stuff hanging off the side? (exchanger, pump, controls, etc). I would like to fit my own exchanger and controls. I plan to run the tank at 60C and the exchangers provided will likely be too small. Plus I would like to use off the shelf standard sized parts, so that maintenance is easy.

What I am looking for is a simple, quality (i.e. thick), stainless vented tank with a lot of connectors. It doesn't matter if it is heavy.

Does anyone run a similar setup?

For what it is worth,

I have a hot water cylinder that (a) supplies low pressure hot water to the bath and basin taps and (b) serves as a heat store for heating mains pressure water to the shower.

The green / orange item is a coil

twin_coil.jpg

This avoids the use of any pumps or control systems for the shower ( the shower works during a power cut ) other than the cylinder thermostat and timer controlling the boiler heating the cylinder.

Thanks for that, it looks like a nice setup, and not so far from what I would like to do.
3PE.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back