Ventilation ducting in renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've recently moved into a building we've been renovating for some time. The roof is still uninsulated so will be sorting that very shortly. I'm also getting my brother-in-law, who's an electrician, to fit a Greenwood CMEV.4eHT MEV system in the loft, which will extract from the kitchen and bathroom.

I have a couple of things I'm not sure about, though:

- I'm going to use round rigid ducting; for the kitchen this is easy as the pipework will run perpendicular to the joists, so I'll just get insulation for that. The bathroom ducting though will run parallel between a couple of joists under an area in the loft which will get boarded, in part to provided access to the Greenwood. If I get the insulation company to put in the minimum depth of 270mm insulation, is it permissible / reasonable to have this insulate that ducting until it emerges?
- I'll also be running rigid ducting from a cooker hood. Part of this will be a vertical uplift into the loft. Will I need a condensate trap for that, assuming that also goes under loft insulation and the pipe itself gets insulated when it emerges?
- Is it better to vent the Greenwood out through the side wall of the property, or does it have to go through a roof vent? The former seems less hassle ...
- If the former above is okay, are standard louvre vents okay and if so, would I need backdraught prevention?

I should mention that this is a bungalow so only going through plasterboard into the loft. I don't if this means I need any form of fire protection for regulations ... ?

Any / all advice gratefully received :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back