Ventilation for internal room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a new kitchen. The old kitchen (which is tiny) will become a utility room but it will have no external walls. The only sensible access to the outside world is through the new kitchen or the downstairs loo. We won't have a tumble drier but will have a sink and washing machine in there.

From my reading of Part F if it were a new build I would need 30l/s of extraction. This bit is not new it is an existing room but I have made this room 'less satisfactory', although it had no vents or extraction other than a draughty back door. What would I actually need to achieve? Are there any clever ways to achieve this? The extension roof is slightly higher then the existing ceiling so any ducting will be visible or convoluted. Less of an issue in the downstairs loo, I suppose. Or can I just vent into the downstairs loo and have another vent in the loo to the outside?

One final question if 30l/s is a common requirement why are nearly all 100mm fans 25l/s?

Sponsored Links
If it's only got a washing machine and sink, why bother with a fan. Just open the door to the kitchen or hall if necessary.

Tbh that was my first thought. We don't tend to close doors anyway, just concerned about whether building control would allow that. I will ask what they are happy with but I'd rather go in with a good idea first.

Sponsored Links
1. Remove the door between the kitchen and utility so that the latter just becomes a 'nook' of the kitchen.

2. Get your certificate.

3. Put the door back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back