mechanical ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A question about mechanical ventilation if I may.

As I understood it any new kitchen, bathroom (bath/shower room) toilet (WC) or utility with no openable window should be provided with a mechanical extract fan to reduce condensation and remove smells. if you do have an openable window, don't need to worry about mechanical ventilation . The necessary performance of these extract fans is normally measured in litres per second (l/s) as follows:

·Kitchen - 30l/s if placed over the hob and 60l/s if place elsewhere
·Bath/shower - 15l/s with an additional 15 minute overrun (after the light is switched out)
·Toilet - 6l/s with overrun
·Utility room - 30l/s

However, my builder told me that a kitchen and a utility room require mechanical ventilation even if they have openable windows. Whilst a bathroom and toilet (wc) only require mechanical ventilation if there is no openable window.

This does not make sense to me.

Can some kind person clarify what the actual reequipments are?

Sponsored Links
It is only a wc (not a bathroom with wc) that does not need a fan if there is an openable window; a normal bathroom does need a fan, even with an openable window.
The issue is the amount of water vapour produced, rather than any odour on its own.

Sponsored Links
WCs generally *need* a fan

However it may not be required by BRs.

Which is a different point.
It really depends on whether someone in the house is full of shiit or not. Our toilet just has a window. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back