Gas hob in internal kitchen (Scottish Tenement)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Long time lurker.

Remodelling a flat to convert recesses into an internal kitchen, very common in these parts. There will be no windows, just a door into the hallway.

My question is this: am I allowed to have a gas hob in it? I thought it was allowed with the appropriate mechanical extraction and venting externally but a builder has said absolutely not. He says it's not permitted or allowed and he certainly won't install a gas hob.

Approved plans include provision for mechanical extraction of at least 30l/s and integrated cooker hood.

I have looked it up as far as I can and believe that he's incorrect.

Can someone provide some guidance? This for me is make or break and would ditch this builder if he's wrong.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much guys!

That confirms, I believe, what I thought. It is permitted and my builder is being particular. I probably have to get another quote from someone who might be willing to do the job safely. After all, the work has to be vetted by building control. so if any issues will be flagged up.

Sponsored Links
You will find the majority of the information required in this document http://www.corgitechnical.com/courses/downloads/15 October 2010 - TB 005(A) - Gas cookers in internal kitchens (Eng, Wales, IOM and Guernsey) - Ventilation requirements.pdf
You are allowed a gas hob in a room that does not directly connect to the outside but permanent ventilation will be required.
However I do recommend you request an on site visit and assessment of a qualified gas engineer.
Thank you.
That is an excellent idea although it means pricing the job separately; getting a gas engineer who would fit the kitchen and gas appliances...

I hope this is not a silly question, can I ask the builder to do all the works including kitchen bar installation of the gas hob and leave that for a gas engineer?

I hope this is not a silly question, can I ask the builder to do all the works including kitchen bar installation of the gas hob and leave that for a gas engineer?
It would depend on the scope of work the builder can do legally and competently, installing a kitchen would require more than the joinery skill associated with installing kitchen units, worktops and plinth etc. As well as the installation of gas appliances, there would be the other appliance that would need to be installed, such as sink, washing machine, dishwasher, electrical oven, electrical hob/extractors. Then there would possibly be the relocation, alterations or addition of electrical sockets, lighting, switches, outlet plates and circuits. A lot of builders profess that they can do this, but often they do not have the technical skill, knowledge or qualifications to do these tasks legally or safely or functionally.

Last edited:
I created a gally kitchen in my flat in edinburgh - which we now rent out. We didnt have a gas hob but the combi was installed in a cupboard - our heating engineer didnt have any issue with this and building control signed everything off - so cant see a hob being an issue.

You will however need to ensure that mechanic extract is ducted to external air - and that there is supply ventilation - we had to run 3 ducts into the kithen (each separately cored to external air) - one for ventilation, one for extract and one for boiler flu - we had a nightmare bc officer but luckily i work in the architectural field and done my own drawings and managed to satisfy their requirements :)

I created a gally kitchen in my flat in edinburgh - which we now rent out. We didnt have a gas hob but the combi was installed in a cupboard - our heating engineer didnt have any issue with this and building control signed everything off - so cant see a hob being an issue.

You will however need to ensure that mechanic extract is ducted to external air - and that there is supply ventilation - we had to run 3 ducts into the kithen (each separately cored to external air) - one for ventilation, one for extract and one for boiler flu - we had a nightmare bc officer but luckily i work in the architectural field and done my own drawings and managed to satisfy their requirements :)

Just seeing this, thank you very much.

As I am likely to rent out my flat in future, I've pretty much decided to go without gas in the internal kitchen to save hassle and reduce the risk of CO poisoning in a rental.

May I ask if you're happy with your hob? I'm wary of electric hobs because they've all been rubbish from past experience.

Induction Hobs are very good, but cost more and require that the user only use ferrous pans. They're more efficient than regular electric hobs, but I guess these are all qualities that render them unappealing to a landlord.

Just seeing this, thank you very much.

As I am likely to rent out my flat in future, I've pretty much decided to go without gas in the internal kitchen to save hassle and reduce the risk of CO poisoning in a rental.

May I ask if you're happy with your hob? I'm wary of electric hobs because they've all been rubbish from past experience.

We installed a ceramic hob - and it was great for us while we lived there. Our new property has a gas hob which I have only used a couple of times - but think it is better than electric. But considering you are in the same position as us regarding renting it out I wouldn't say a gas or electric hob would be a deal breaker for a tenant. That said I would suggest going for ceramic over induction - as mentioned above induction hobs require specific pans which may be an additional outlay for new tenants (if your renting unfurnished)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back