Two door ruling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has recently had a downstairs loo built into his garage, we're so impressed that we've decided to have one too but instead of having a little lobby and a door into the loo, we thought we'd just have the one door from the dining room into the loo.

However, the neighbour insists that building regs state that you have to have two doors between an eating area and a loo. My son has recently bought a new build house that has a loo with only one door leading from his actual kitchen.

I do remember years ago an aunt telling me about the two door ruling, but have things changed, I don't want a lobby as I only want a loo and not another door leading into the garage that he has.

Sponsored Links
There used to be a rule that you had to have two doors from a Kitchen, but this no longer applies.

What you want to do would not be a problem.

Yes the rule did exist but no longer does, besides it was more relevant to toilets accessed directly off a kitchen anyway and you do not need a lobby provided the new toilet has its own basin.

Sponsored Links
It will be nice when dinner guests excuse themselves at the table.

"I'll just be going on the other side of that door to defecate, carry on eating without me"

article-2416133-1BB70C8F000005DC-509_634x410.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back