Ventilation for single skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have j small upstairs room which is single skin and rendered on the outside face - three external walls. A couple of the outside walls suffered from condensation, so I opened up a single ventilation block (about 10" by 6") high up on one external wall which had been sealed and painted over by the previous owner which seemed to eliminate the problem.

However, I have now dot and dabbed the walls. I should have considered ventilation first, but was too keen to get the walls up and plastered. I am now worried that all sorts of damp related problems could be accumulating behind my bright new walls. Should I add some internal vents, and if so, where should they be.

Hope someone can help.

Sponsored Links
Hiya Dolland,

Has the condensation reappeared then? If so, did you insulate behind the plasterboard? because as far as i know single skinned walls are inherently cold which create cold spots, and all the warmth in your room migrates towards these cold spots causing condensation. So unless there is some insulation behind you will always get this problem :(

Hope this helps, my first time answering so please be gentle ;)

Thanks for the reply Mothra.

With the original wall now completely cloaked in new plasterboard (and skimmed) I cant tell whether the condensation has reappeared underneath. However, I suspect it will be rather damp, particularly on cold days.

My main concern is the hidden damage this could do to the plasterboard and weaken or destroy the adhesion of the dots and dabs. Should I use extra (screw) fixings to strengthen the new inner skin?

Am I right in assuming I need to have some form of vent on the internal face to encourage air circulation?

Sponsored Links
Hiya Dolland,

Probably would be a wise idea like you say to install vents and better at the bottom of the plasterboard to create a draw of air.

As for your other questions i would be totally guessing :confused:

Take care
Mothra

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back