Ventilation in bathroom..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at installing an en-suite bathroom (DIY'ing :) ) which will be against a outer wall and segmented with plaster board ect.

Now I have read alot about the plumbing, installion ect and am aware plugs ect are not allowed within and lights have to be with pull strings.

Now I need to install an extracter fan, the bathroom will be downstairs to feeding it through the ceiling is not viable so I would therefore need it going through the outside wall.

The the query is how would the item be powered using this method?

The bathroom has no window unfortunately so at what intervals would it be required to run, i.e. everytime shower is on? every thirty minutes? ect - although I imagine the room would get very steamed up if the door was shut whilst showering :eek

Sponsored Links
power it from the lighting circuit

I recommend you have the fan switch on automatically every time the light is switched on, with a 20-minute overrun.

Don't rely on people remembering to turn it on.

power it from the lighting circuit

I recommend you have the fan switch on automatically every time the light is switched on, with a 20-minute overrun.

Don't rely on people remembering to turn it on.

Thanks for the response.

Do you know where I will find good quality diagrams of a light circuit and how I would power the extractor from it to make it power up with the light switch..

Think i'ts changed to have a 30min overrun now. Also, the fan should have a 3 pole isolator switch installed outside the bathroom, and you need to use 3 core and earth cable to install it. Wiring diagrams are often supplied with such switches.

Finally, and to the irritation of others on here, you should be aware that this installation of an ensuite requires building control involvement especially regarding the wiring and wall insulation etc etc. You can ignore it at your peril of course, but it is my duty as an Englishman to advise you of the law pertaining to this matter :rolleyes: ;)

Sponsored Links
Think i'ts changed to have a 30min overrun now. Also, the fan should have a 3 pole isolator switch installed outside the bathroom, and you need to use 3 core and earth cable to install it. Wiring diagrams are often supplied with such switches.

Should an isolation switch and wiring be supplied with the product? I'm assuming it wouldn't..?

Why exactly are these required and what for?

The one in the upstairs bathroom appears not to have an isolation switch.. which I can see visibly anyhow :S

Also, for a wall mounted one where would the wires run? As for obvious reasons they wouldn't be able to run above to bath/sink ect lol

Can't answer your other questions but my advise to you is not to buy a cheap fan; we have a cheap one and it is very loud and I believe it will not work properly in about a year.

Get a good make such as Vent Axia or Xpelair.

You could go for a model with a humidistat as these turn on when the humidity exceeds a certain level and then switch off when humidity levels return to normal. The problem with a light activated one is that the fan turns on if you just go to brush your teeth or to get something from the bathroom.

I am looking at installing an en-suite bathroom (DIY'ing :) ) which will be against a outer wall and segmented with plaster board ect.
Are you aware that such work is notifyable & must comply with Building Regs. & may require inspection & certification; do you also intend installing a w/c?

I have twin fans extracting from my shower room,[no window] and use a ceiling mounted sensor with timer to switch on whenever the room is occupied, with a short over run, this mean the light and fan run only when occupied and you cannot forget to turn the light off.

Should an isolation switch and wiring be supplied with the product? I'm assuming it wouldn't..?

Why exactly are these required and what for?

The one in the upstairs bathroom appears not to have an isolation switch.. which I can see visibly anyhow :S
They are required for new installations (such as the one you are newly installing and not for the old existing one which was no doubt installed before they became regs necessary) and are not supplied with the product, but are quite inexpensive (less than £5 normally). They are used to enable complete isolation of the fan for the benefit of maintenance and replacement, without having to turn the lights off and work in the dark apart from anywhing else, and this isolation also means you can turn the fan off should it develop a fault and keep the lights on anyway, thus keeping the room functional.

Wiring for the wall mounted extractor fan can be run either within the wall (chased out or behind new plasterboard) or within surface mounted trunking, all within safe zones which your electrician will no doubt use. Any electrical work in bathrooms (and ensuites) must either be designed, installed and tested by a part P certified electrician (who can self certify), or by yourself if you are able to prove competence (especially with regard to the testing) to the BCO who can then certify the work.

Apart from that, as both myself and RichardC have indicated, this work requires planning and BCO involvement, part of which will amost certainly insist in the installation of such a switch.

Building control apart...

If the room has no windows make sure these is some way for dry air to come into the room when the fan is on. If you don't it will take 10 times longer for the extractor to do it's job. I know this from my own bathroom: unless the window is slightly open or the door left ajar it will take all morning to de-mist the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back