ventilation in cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently we found mould in our rarely used and small cellar. The room is about 5ft x 5ft. We had the mould cleaned and the guy who cleaned it suggested we put a fan on the ventilation duct that's located just below ceiling level as well as either leaving the cellar door open or cutting an opening in the door and putting a vent on it so that air can flow through and gets pulled outside.

The duct is 4" in diameter, but is a little squished (from improper installation), so the smallest section is about 3.5" in diameter.

Any suggestions on what kind of fan I can get for the ventilation duct?

img0284am.jpg

Sponsored Links
Generally you can rely on external conditions ie wind around the property to provide ventilation if you have 2 vents to the outside. So try an additional vent in the door first, if you still get mould consider a fan at that stage.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely do that first. But if the time comes where I need the fan, what should I get?

You could use a standard 4 inch fan [standard in the UK] and mount on a frame infront of the joist timber in front of vent and pull flexi pipe forward and down to meet it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. That makes sense. Any suggestion on fan models? I found something like this:
http://www.vent-axia.com/range/clone-silhouette-100-axial-bathroom-fanstoilet-fans.html

Unfortunately none of the hardware stores in my area (home depot or Rona) have these type of low profile fans. They only have large boxy ones (like 1ft x 1ft x 6inches). The only place I can seem to find one of the fans linked above is eBay. And shipping is not cheap.

Any suggestions?

You could use large fan attached to cellar ceiling then extend hose to it.
Or you could go for a simple solution, low voltage [12volt] computer fan wired to transformer, they are available in many sizes , even small enough to fit inside existing pipe with a suitable sized timber frame to keep in place.No pretty but then it's only a cellar and they are suitable to run 24/7/365 at very little cost.

See I was thinking about using a computer fan but I wasn't sure if it would be strong enough and I don't know how I would connect it to an outlet. I also would prefer the fan to have a moisture sensor so it can turn on/off when needed.

In a cellar it would be best left running 24/7, cost a few dollars a year.

That still doesn't answer my question about HOW to connect a computer fan to a normal outlet.

Surely anyone in their right mind from Canada would find a Canadian or at least American forum rather than a UK one?

I think you should get a switched mode power supply which would be cheaper to run (there's not much price difference, if any).

E.g. something equivalent to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-DC-RE...2?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item415f751eaa#ht_892wt_655

and then you'd just need to cut off the end and solder it to the leads on the fan. This wouldn't have a moisture sensor though. Perhaps a timer could suffice and you'd need to experiment with a hygrometer?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I think you should get a switched mode power supply which would be cheaper to run (there's not much price difference, if any).

E.g. something equivalent to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-DC-RE...2?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item415f751eaa#ht_892wt_655

and then you'd just need to cut off the end and solder it to the leads on the fan. This wouldn't have a moisture sensor though. Perhaps a timer could suffice and you'd need to experiment with a hygrometer?
He is in C A N A D A.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
yeah I know the plug is different but the concept is the same. No worries. Although I still think its overkill. From what I can tell, the wall fans are inexpensive (about $20-30) and I can save myself the time and ugliness of splicing wires and concocting weird contraptions. I just have to find a place to buy these fans in canada.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back