Ventilating a Cellar After Insulation The Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a late-Victorian, mid-terrace property with a great space in the cellar that we want to use as a storage/utility area. While there is a useable drain, there is no ventilation to the space and I'd like to make sure I'm on the right track with my plans.

Two surveys didn't detect any damp in the cellar and it doesn't smell, but I plan to fit insulation boards between the joists after pulling down the lath and plaster ceiling which I believe would then require improved air flow around the joists.

A local builder has estimated around £150 to install a couple of air bricks front and rear. We've got windows (that don't open) into the cellar, so I don't imagine this will be too tricky. There should be no need for periscope bricks or ducting.

Will this be enough on it's own? Long-term, I'd like to convert the cellar into liveable space which would involve some degree of tanking/waterproofing and adding heating. Would there be any benefit to opting for MVHR at this stage or would it be total overkill?

Is there any point installing the insulation boards if this will become liveable space in the future?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back