Ventilation in plastic soffits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I’ve recently changed the downlighters in my hallway. I noticed there is a really cold draught blowing through the gap between the two floors in the joist area between ground floor and floor above. Should it be so draughty? The hallway has always been really cold. Could this be why? I’ve noticed the soffits are ventilated. There as loads of these ventilation holes in the soffet. Is this overkill?

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry perhaps I should said ....
You’ll see that I have a smaller roof section that covers the front of the house. I think these are causing the problem( see photo). I’ve covered them with gaffer tape for now because it’s extra cold at the moment. You’ll also see the other vents on the main roof.

Attachments

• 0C3E8AD6-DB65-4037-98CC-980EA616843E.jpeg
    0C3E8AD6-DB65-4037-98CC-980EA616843E.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 209
Sponsored Links
WTF? Why have you covered the vents you Muppet? Next you'll be asking why your loft is full of condensation! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

I covered them up because at the moment there are no downlighters in my hallway whilst I decorate ,so I have all these gaping holes lettting the cold in. It’s to stop any draught coming through. My hallway feels like Siberia. You might have noticed it’s a bit cold at the moment. It’s a not permanent fix.

It would have been better to cover the holes in the ceiling.

Clearly getting nowhere here.
Hoped to get some valuable insight from some experts in soffit installation.
Never mind.

The vents are there to ventilate and stop condensation build up in the roof space.
There does look a lot of them in the pictures you posted.
Try buying sealed units to replace the Dow lighters with - that will help with the draft (or using a hood).
Other thing is to insulate the roof space (not covering the lights.

The porch is likely cold due to no insulation in the roof space above the porch and having a door.

the problem is insulation if any is not fitted correctly.. the vents ventilate loft area above the insulation

Soffits should ventilate the roof not your hallway.

I’m assuming he means that the air is blowing in through the soffit and into the loft space but then back into the room via the hole where the Downlighter is? Some electricians don’t lag over the downlighters as pre LED they like a mini oven.
Best thing is a fire hood and then it’s fine to lag over the top. The fire hold will stop most of the draft.

Then I could have the complete wrong end of the stick.

I’m assuming he means that the air is blowing in through the soffit and into the loft space but then back into the room via the hole where the Downlighter is?

:cautious:

You know that. I know that. I'm just waiting for the OP to realise that. :rolleyes:

What was the question again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back