UPVC Soffits and Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I live in a new build house (about 2 years old) that has all UPVC soffits and fascia’s around the roof lines. I want to fit some led downlights into the soffit to give some nice looking outdoor lighting to the front on the house. Now I’m totally clear on the electrical side of things, however I dont have a clue how to get into the area behind the plastic soffits so I can route the cables and install the lamps etc.

How do they come off, are they held together with UPVC glue or plastic nails etc? Once off will they go back on ok? I’m planning of talking them off to route the cables etc, and drill the holes in them to hold the lamps.

I have soffits above my in built garage, and some in the top roof line. I’ll try to get pics…

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Don't you just cut out holes for the spot lights, thread the cable trough and fix the spot lights without removing the soffit?

Otherwise you have to bend the fascia out and the soffit drops down. An hope that the soffits are not nailed , or you will be buying new ones

Don't you just cut out holes for the spot lights, thread the cable trough and fix the spot lights without removing the soffit?

Otherwise you have to bend the fascia out and the soffit drops down. An hope that the soffits are not nailed , or you will be buying new ones

Yes but I think I will need to get to the back of them to be able to route and drill holes for cable etc. I may be able to do it all through a hole, but dont really want to drill a hole in them blind without knowing how I'm going to route the cable etc.

Humm, so they are one use item really if nailed etc?

Thansk

I wouldn't attempt to remove the soffit. It'll be held in with a combination of silicone, superglue, or upvc nails which are a pig to get out without cracking the plastic.

As woody says, hole saw out the lamp positions then use an old coat hanger or something to fish the cables along.

You should find its all accessible from the loft space if you've got thin arms?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't attempt to remove the soffit. It'll be held in with a combination of silicone, superglue, or upvc nails which are a pig to get out without cracking the plastic.

As woody says, hole saw out the lamp positions then use an old coat hanger or something to fish the cables along.

You should find its all accessible from the loft space if you've got thin arms?

Ok sounds likes that's the way to do it. Can't be bothered with plastics cracking everywhere (give me timber anyday).

Im thinking of putting the lights above the garage soffets more than top roof line. But that has no loft space. I will just have to drill though the brick in the garage and into the space behind the Soffit. Does that sounds reasonable?

Im thinking of putting the lights above the garage soffets more than top roof line. But that has no loft space. I will just have to drill though the brick in the garage and into the space behind the Soffit. Does that sounds reasonable?

Yes, but I'd be amazed if the top of the inner leaf brickwork was positioned such that the wall plate was tight up against the bottom of the roof sarking - i.e. you should be able to push a cable down between the rafters in to the soffit space. Is your garage roof/ceiling clad on the inside in some way?

Y
Yes, but I'd be amazed if the top of the inner leaf brickwork was positioned such that the wall plate was tight up against the bottom of the roof sarking - i.e. you should be able to push a cable down between the rafters in to the soffit space. Is your garage roof/ceiling clad on the inside in some way?

The inside of the garage where the soffits are on the outside is just a breeze block wall. I'll try to get some pics to help explain what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

This is the outside where I want to put the downlights in. Thinking about it I don't think I can get behind here in the garage as it's too high!

How do how get behind this to run cables etc?

Attachments

• IMG_5096.JPG
    IMG_5096.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_5097.JPG
    IMG_5097.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 180
Hard to see but looks like pan tiles ( Marley moderns?). Push back the second row, remove the first row, fold the felt back/eaves trays and you've got all the room you need to work from above.

Provided its an Interlocking tile roof MW is on it with access from above..Easy.. Slate roof or similar then its fishing for cables

Thanks guys. This is the roof (looking down from the bathroom window). Should I should be able to just push the title out of the way?

Attachments

• IMG_5101.JPG
    IMG_5101.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5102.JPG
    IMG_5102.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 135
Yes. Leave the end ones in place so you don't disturb the lead. When you push the tiles back keep them flat. If you lift them too much the backs of the tile could drag into the felt and rip it.

Great thanks. What should I expect to see under the titles? The underside of the plaster board used on the garage inside celling?

No mate you'll just see the inside of that white soffit board which is all you need to access to do your downlighters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back