replacement gutters and soffits upvc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly i think fascias are the upright bits that the gutters fix too, and soffits are the bits that you see if you look straight up from the bottom of your house? I hope this is correct!!!

I am going to replace/cover my gutters, fascias and soffits with upvc ones. I have been told that the fasica/soffits are in good enough condition to have them covered over with upvc. The reason i am doing this is that i think they look better and no painting!!!!

I have been told that covering them over is cheaper than replacing them, however i am not sure whether to replace or cover

I am wary of covering them, is it bad for the existing wood and can it cause problems (assuming they are fitted correctly)

I have been told that with replacing the facsia/soffits you can run into trouble with roofing problems due to disturbing the bottom layer of tiles (my house is an ex council house built circa 1950 and the roof is the original one, the council have replaced all the roofs of the houses they still own).

The other problem is the soffits are not wood, they are some sort of hard board, possible some sort of absestos?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Replace - the soffit board will be asbestos/cement . thin hard and a low level asbestos risk . Still needs removing sensibly tho ` ;) Loads of info on web.

And never go over old fascias and soffits, allways remove the old, it only takes one bit to develop dry rot and in years to come it could all fall off.

Sponsored Links
Am having a single story extension built in the new few weeks (waiting for building control). The builder is in agreement with you and said replacement is best.

There seems to be a very large mark up on this gutters/soffit/fascia business. Some people i know have been quoted a lot of money compared to the cost of buying the materials. I told the builder i had costed the materials and he has given me a very good quote for replacing them which i am going to go with.

thanks for your advice

If any of you need help with tropical fish especially oscars then come over to oscarfishlover.com where i moderate and i can return the favour

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back