Replacing soffits only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house already has uPVC fascias and soffits but the soffits are not the ventilated type.

The loft has recently had 250mm insulation installed and condensation is appearing in the loft which appears, from reading online, to be due to a lack of ventilation. The obvious solution is to replace the soffits with ventilated ones.

My question:

Will I have to replace both fascia and soffit or should I be able to replace the soffit on its own?

Here's a pic of the soffit:

Sponsored Links
you might have a job getting that narrow soffit out under the fascia - Shepherds Eastbourne will have the vented soffit , and if you don`t want to DIY , you could give Maintenance Free Products Hailsham a call OR you could go for tile and ridge vents , or even 2 gable end airbricks if you are detached .

you might have a job getting that narrow soffit out under the fascia
So the soffit just lies on the fascia? I thought they might be clipped together in some way, so you would need to know the make to get the correct soffit.

Shepherds Eastbourne will have the vented soffit , and if you don`t want to DIY , you could give Maintenance Free Products Hailsham a call
Thanks for the info.

you could go for tile and ridge vents , or even 2 gable end airbricks if you are detached .
From what I have read tile and ridge vents may not provide the correct air flow. The ideal seems to be continuous eaves ventilation combined with ridge ventilation

It's a mid-terrace house.

Sponsored Links
good point Alistair - but would you get a 70mm hole in that soffit :confused: Soffit+ facia might be wood overclad with plastic - indeed might clip together if not over clad - just plastic onto the rafter feet - all a bit of a mystery

Or over fascia vents combined with vented ridge.

Yeah the time it takes to faff about with the soffit you could cut the fascia down 25mm to allow for the vent to sit on, bobs your uncle.

(I do actually have an uncle called Bob)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back