ventilation issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP, came home from work last tuesday to find pilot light on my old baxi back boiler had gone out, got CORGI reg. lad out to it next day who gave it a "FULL" service. ( i think the boiler is older than him,do newly accredited persons train on these old jobs?), he was nice enough though he explained that although the actual burner was v. clean the heat exchangers were clogged with too much carbon for it to be working properly,he then proceeded to clean them up. conclusion being that the fire/chimney was not drawing fumes up, said i needed a vent in front room,flue cleanig/repair and a new cowl on chimney,* honest answers now *a)how much would this work be? or b) am i throwing good money away having this work done or should i bite the bullet and go for a combi.

Sponsored Links
HELP, came home from work last tuesday to find pilot light on my old baxi back boiler had gone out, got CORGI reg. lad out to it next day who gave it a "FULL" service. ( i think the boiler is older than him,do newly accredited persons train on these old jobs?),

lol yes we do theres alot still out there

being that the fire/chimney was not drawing fumes up, said i needed a vent in front room,flue cleanig/repair and a new cowl on chimney

Was the appliance failing flue checks or was this just his diagnosis due to the dirty heat exchanger?

a)how much would this work be? or b) am i throwing good money away having this work done or should i bite the bullet and go for a combi.

Cant help on costs but if there is no air vent then you should most definately have one put in. Regards replacing it, i wouldnt. Old back boilers arent the most efficient but they are reliable with regular servicing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back