Ventilation to help cobat Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one help. i have a 1950's solid concrete block house with a loft conversion. it is an end terrace. we have a big Condensation mould problem mainly on the end terrace wall. I have looked at positive vent systems not sure i can fit one as i do not have a loft space and they are costly. It was suggested i put a vents in each room that has a problem. would putting in core vents in each room help prevent condensation and mould growth. apart from opening windows what is the cheapest method of providing ventilation. any help would be appreceated.

Sponsored Links
Assuming there are no other causes.

The condensation is a result of moist air shedding liquid onto a cold surface. Ventilating as you suggest will help if the moisture in your home is greater than the moisture in the air outside; the greater benefit will probably be from the fact that moving air has a drying affect. A dehumidifier might help if you keep the interior of your home like a sauna or you cook and boil lots of water or take large numbers of baths or showers

The problem would be less if the wall was warmer either by preventing heat loss by insulating the outside or insulating the inside so that the coldness of the outside wall has less effect on the interior.

How you live might have a bearing on the problem. Don't use bottled gas for heating as this releases a lot of water vapour into the atmosphere. If you are out all day and and the shell of the house gets cold and on returning you put the heating on and start cooking/bathing/washing and thus generating lots of moisture vapour and then turn off the heating and go to bed. This type of cycling accentuated by a repeat at breakfast time makes for a damp environment.

Keeping the house warm with background heating all of the time is better than on/off heating. Better insulation is the long term solution.

Regards Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back