Adding ventilation to loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add ventilation to our loft, amazingly it doesn't have any, and recently I have found dampness on boards up there.

There are no compatible tile vents for the 1950's style of tile we have unfortunately.

My loft insulation goes right into the corners and into the soffits, to meet the EWI.

My plan is to fit 2 vents on each elevation into the soffit, and use flat ducting to bring the air passed the insulation and into the loft.

But is this the best approach? It's going to be a bit of a pain, so I am open to any suggestions that would make it easier.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yeah, looks like they read DIYnot and copied my idea from years back. :mad:

Thats the principle anyway. You can use anything that gives the same effect - polystyrene or foam cuts, and easiest will be some of that foam copper pipe insualtion cut into sections

Yeah, looks like they read DIYnot and copied my idea from years back. :mad:

I still don't understand why they're so expensive given that it's just some plastic. You want to get on dragons den woody... This time next year you'll be a miwionaire.

I’ve gotta do the same on mine, I’ll use woodys version though (stuff any random objects I can find up there)

I've recently vented mine using the Grey pipe insulation, its extremely cheap to buy i just cut it to rounghly foot long strips and pushed it between the felt laps, it's worked a treat and fits alot tighter than when I tried with batons.

So even if you’ve got interlocking tiles with lots of moss ( not much airflow?) venting the laps is expected to work?

So even if you’ve got interlocking tiles with lots of moss ( not much airflow?) venting the laps is expected to work?

Moss on tiles is never a good thing so I would see about removing that, I just made sure I could see daylight when pushing the pipe lagging through the laps whilst being mindful of not going too far as to the point that it might compromise the water tightness, on a breezy day its very effective.

Ideally re roofing with breathable felt would be the one but it will have to wait for now.

Heres a couple of wip photos I took before installing celotex inbetween the rafters...

Attachments

• IMAG4659.jpg
    IMAG4659.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 112
  • IMAG4663.jpg
    IMAG4663.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMAG4676.jpg
    IMAG4676.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 128

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back