ventilator hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have two double glazed upvc ventilator windows that have snapped hinges. the problem is these have been rivetted onto the window and frame. am i ok to drill the head off the pop rivet? will i then be trying to fix into what is left of the rivet? if i drill the rivet out will i have to use fat screws and drill the new hinge holes larger?

Sponsored Links
i have two double glazed upvc ventilator windows that have snapped hinges. the problem is these have been rivetted onto the window and frame. am i ok to drill the head off the pop rivet? will i then be trying to fix into what is left of the rivet? if i drill the rivet out will i have to use fat screws and drill the new hinge holes larger?
Use a 5mm drill and drill the whole rivet out, then use new rivets in the existing holes. Or you can use longer screws and screw deeper into the frame (be careful though if doing this for the sash as you might hit the glass unit and crack it). With the new hinges you may find not all the holes line up, so you can easily get a screw in. If you try to fix a screw into what is left of the rivet, the rivet will just spin with the screw, so don't waste your time with that idea. Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back