upvc window hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the hinge has broken on our top opener vent window the plastic runner
that holds one of the bars has snapped the hinge unit is riveted on the frame are they straight forward to fit if I can get one diy as I have a decent rivet gun
:confused:

Sponsored Links
How big is the sash? The bigger they are the harder they are to do.

Measure the hinge where meets the frame. Usually 6", 8" 10" and so on.
The tricky part is working out the thickness of the hinge, Called the stack height either 13mm or 17mm.
As you may not be able to tell the stack for sure and this window is riveted I would suggest buying a pair of each.

You can get friction stay hinges on ebay or screwfix etc.

Drill out the rivets with a 4.8mm bit and take out the sash. Take lots of pics and place the new hinges along side the old one to judge where your new fixing holes will be (new hinge fixing holes are rarely in the same place as the old holes).
Then you can drill out the rivets on the sash and take off the hinges.

Now is also a good time to offer the new hinges upto the frame and mark any new holes needed there.

Where possible screw rather than rivet so that you can easily make some adjustments.

You really do have to get the new hinge alignment spot on or you could screw up the window.

If you are not confident it may be worth getting a quote from some local double glazing company's.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back