Veritas Excel Part-Set Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I've recently installed a Veritas Excel control panel and Odyssey X-BE sounder to replace an existing setup. The wiring is original but the PIRs were replaced a couple of years ago. All good apart from the fact that I'm struggling to get a Part Set to work in the way I want. I want it to only activate an internal sounder on the part-set alarm, rather than the external sounder (this is the default setting in the panel configuration). The internal sounder is a 16 Ohm speaker connected to the L/S terminals in the control panel. Unfortunately, when a part-set alarm is triggered (by waiting for the Entry mode to time out without unsetting the system) both the internal and external sounders activate. The good folk at Texecom have suggested that the Odyssey sounder might be self-activating on a voltage drop but, having made some measurements and done a few quick calculations, I'm not convinced of that. The control panel log just shows a single alarm event, so no tampers or repeat alarms.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Also, is anyone using part-set on internal sounders without seeing this problem? I'm fairly sure it's my mistake somewhere but, at the moment, I can't see where.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
really?

look in the manual in the misc options and look for the options on sounders during part set and tamper

I believe the default values changed for that particular setting a few years ago.

I can check the manual for the specific option but will take me a few minutes not turned it on or off in years so cant remember

Misc 01 first 3 options affect how internal sounders work wrt to external sounders for tamper and part sets.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Misc 01 Options 1 - 3 are what I assumed I needed, and from the installation manual it looked to me that the factory defaults (all 'ON') are for Internal Sounder Only operation - so I left them alone. You've got me wondering now though, if they changed the logic for these settings a while back and didn't update the manual, perhaps they need to be changed to the 'OFF' state for Internals Only. I'll give it a go tomorrow afternoon when I risk upsetting the neighbours less if the external sounder goes off....

Well, I'm still scratching my head on this: as far as I can see, the setting of Misc 01 Option 2 (both 'ON' & 'OFF') makes absolutely no difference to which sounders are activated by a Part-Set alarm. In other words, with this option set to either On or Off, an alarm causes both the Internal and External sounders to be activated.

Before I spend any more time trying to debug this, can I ask if anyone either using a Veritas Excel or installing them is making use of the Part-Set alarm function? If so, is it set for internal sounders only and does it work correctly in this mode (i.e. not activating the external bell in alarm conditions)?

If I can confirm that the function actually works on another unit with the same firmware (3.22 in my case), I can be pretty sure that it's either a dodgy unit or (more likely!) I've screwed up somewhere in either installation or configuration.

Thanks all.

Just a though .... are the bell and strobe in the correct terminal ....does the strobe flash when the bell is disabled in part ? Just thinking they may be reversed ....

how is the internal sounder wired?

ie internal 16ohm speaker

First thing to say is that, because of the control panel location in a spare room, I'm not using the Excel's 16 Ohm built-in speaker and so I have disconnected this completely. I have replaced it with a 16 Ohm extension speaker located near the keypad and connected to the loudspeaker terminals in the panel. The two connections to the extension speaker are each made with two cores of 7/0.2.

Just a though .... are the bell and strobe in the correct terminal ....does the strobe flash when the bell is disabled in part ? Just thinking they may be reversed ....

As I think I said in my earlier post, both the internal & external sounders activate on a part-set alarm, regardless of whether the 'Internals Only' option is selected in the panel config. I should have mentioned that the strobe on the external sounder also flashes on alarm. I must admit that I thought I could have mis-wired something between the external bell and the panel and so I put the bell into hold-off mode and checked both ends. It was OK - i.e. no mis-connections. I also checked the power supply voltage drop between the panel and the bell. Again it was reasonable (~ <30mV). I have also gone through the Sounders & Strobe Tests (Programming Menu 05) to individually check the internal & external sounders and strobe. All work exactly as expected e.g if the internal sounder is selected, only that is activated - not the external one as well. This indicates to me that the panel is capable of operating the internal sounder without the bell as well - it's just that it doesn't want to do it on a part-set alarm. If this wasn't a 'mature' product I'd say that it must be a software problem but I struggle to see how it could be with so many of these systems in use.

Thanks both.

Just prove the point ...and I am not saying you are wrong ...take the bell trip single core out of the pcb ...and touch it to 0v .....does the bell sound externally ?

Default the unit in the first instance via engineering?
test behaviour
change the part set internal

If it still persists check wiring

Default the unit in the first instance via engineering?
test behaviour
change the part set internal

If it still persists check wiring

Is the intention to check the part-set behaviour with factory defaults? If so, because the default part-set config is quite different to mine, I don't think that's 100% possible without making some (relatively minor) changes to the zone wiring and linking out some of the zones, so it wouldn't be exactly the same setup from an overall system point of view. It would, however, be a test of whether my config is the problem so I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Well I must admit that I'm getting pretty stumped now. To enable the system to work with a default config I ended up linking-out a couple of zones and moving the zone wiring of one PIR.

I then tested a Part-Set exactly as I had been doing before - with the same result - both inside sounder & outside bell activate. This time, however, it was with factory settings. That suggests to me that it's probably not my settings that are causing the problem.

I also took the opportunity to re-check (again) the panel wiring whilst I had got the cover removed. Again, no obvious mistakes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back