Veroboard planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any-one recommend free stuff to enable me to start planning a lay-out on the screen before attempting the real thing.

Sponsored Links
Just had a look around, the best one(?) needs Win 8.1, I'm running Win 7 Pro.
As a beginner need something basic (and free)

Sponsored Links
TBH the use of Veroboard is generally a make it up as you go thing. I knew an engineer that would always make vero layouts to test the circuit before he handed me the schematic bits (multiple fag packet drawings) that needed jining together and laying out in a CAD package to make a proper board. He'd often be chopping and changing the vero tracks. starting again etc.

What sort of circuits are you trying to do on it?

You could get one of the free PCB layout packages (Eagle, Kicad etc.) and lay a better board out then order some PCB's for around a tenner at https://www.seeedstudio.com/fusion_pcb.html

As for the use of win8, try them on 7 anyway.

Thanks M, have dabbled in kit stuff in the past and the idea of Veroboard really appeals for trying out simple stuff before committing to solder!

One thing to think about when prototyping on stripboard ( Veroboard ) is the capacitive coupling between adjacent tracks.

This stray coupling can affect the operation of prototypes that have high impedance circuits and/or high frequency circuits.

A working prototype of an analogue circuit was converted to PCB layout but the PCB layout did not work. Investigation found that the data sheet of an IC required a very small capacitor ( less than 10 pF ) between two pins for it to be stabile in it's operation. This component was ommitted ( by accident ) in the stripboard prototype but the necessary capacity was provided by 2 long tracks side by side and hence the prototype worked.

My sincere apologies to posters, I assumed that "Veroboard" was a trade name for BREADBOARD, which I intend to use for experimenting.
Am assuming that some recent replies may now be edited!!

SO are you referring to the strips of copper with holes in or the plastic board with little holes in that have electrical connections underneath?
I know of no software for the latter.

Sponsored Links
Back